Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all not posted for a while Life's been busy and with covid thrown in haven't touched the 954 in a long time

I have the Motor stripped to replace the gearbox and thought i had read somewhere that people a dropping 1000rr pistons straight into the 954 motor as they have longer skirts that stop or help with piston slap
Has anyone on here done this as it might be worth doing while the engine is stripped ?? What else needs swapping ?

Have seen a set of std size 04-07 Wossner racing pistons on eBay at a reasonable price , but then realised these wont work as they need tighter bore clearance because they are forged so a light hone on standard bores will be a bit baggy

Sean

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi all not posted for a while Life's been busy and with covid thrown in haven't touched the 954 in a long time

I have the Motor stripped to replace the gearbox and thought i had read somewhere that people a dropping 1000rr pistons straight into the 954 motor as they have longer skirts that stop or help with piston slap
Has anyone on here done this as it might be worth doing while the engine is stripped ?? What else needs swapping ?

Have seen a set of std size 04-07 Wossner racing pistons on eBay at a reasonable price , but then realised these wont work as they need tighter bore clearance because they are forged so a light hone on standard bores will be a bit baggy

Sean
I have heard from others that they do fit. As you, I haven’t done it. I know this comment doesn’t answer your question completely but I would search around more for some solid answers if know one posts here.
I would definitely freshen all that you can up while you have it out.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks cbrplay
I have decided to go with a set of Wiseco 76mm pistons as the bores are a little more scuffed than i thought , looks like one of the piston skirts has picked up :-( and as the motor is apart and i have no plans on selling the bike ever i might as well do it properly
Pistons should be here on Tuesday :) only question i have no is can i use a standard head gasket or do i have t find an oversized one that seem impossible to find in the UK

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks cbrplay
I have decided to go with a set of Wiseco 76mm pistons as the bores are a little more scuffed than i thought , looks like one of the piston skirts has picked up :-( and as the motor is apart and i have no plans on selling the bike ever i might as well do it properly
Pistons should be here on Tuesday :) only question i have no is can i use a standard head gasket or do i have t find an oversized one that seem impossible to find in the UK
You’re welcome even though I didn’t help much.
I am the same way, never selling it.
The standard bore of 75mm uses 75.5-76mm head gasket so I am sure you would want one to match the bore you are doing. You could check wiseco directly or I found these. I know they are in the USA though.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info ,
Have already checked with Cometic they don't have stock of the head gaskets but make to order , Estimated Delivery Time: 5-6 Weeks from receipt of payment :oops:
Wiseco are showing stock for the 030" gasket so will go with that

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks for the info ,
Have already checked with Cometic they don't have stock of the head gaskets but make to order , Estimated Delivery Time: 5-6 Weeks from receipt of payment :oops:
Wiseco are showing stock for the 030" gasket so will go with that
I’ve been doing some reading. I hope you are aware that the cylinders are “coated” and the risk of increasing compression ratio?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Cbrplay
Yes i am aware that the bores are Alusil and require plating if going bigger than 0.25mm oversize, i am awaiting reply from Langcourt and Aptec as to whether they can bore and plate the cylinders
What is your understanding of the risk of increasing the compression ratio? Wiseco pistons are 13.5:1 up from 11.5:1 stock

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi Cbrplay
Yes i am aware that the bores are Alusil and require plating if going bigger than 0.25mm oversize, i am awaiting reply from Langcourt and Aptec as to whether they can bore and plate the cylinders
What is your understanding of the risk of increasing the compression ratio? Wiseco pistons are 13.5:1 up from 11.5:1 stock
Hello Sapi, I hope one of them can do the job for you. I guess my main concern would be pre detonation or as some call it, pinging. As long as you can get high octane fuel in your area it should be fine. Where I am in the US, I’m at a higher altitude and stations only have 91 octane as the premium. Have to buy 100 from special places and there is only a couple around.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cbrplay

Standard here in the UK for super unleaded is 98 octane , which will be fine unless you have a really large Squish band , optimum is about .029" -.032"

·
Registered
67 Posts
Cbrplay

Standard here in the UK for super unleaded is 98 octane , which will be fine unless you have a really large Squish band , optimum is about .029" -.032"
Lucky you haha. Should be fine then. All it can do is increase the power and nothing wrong with that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts