Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
What are the pros and cons?
Pros:

Much easier and cheaper to replace than a clip-on, grip and throttle if you go down.
Don't take a core out of your hand if you get trapped underneath it when you go down.
Makes bike look more complete.

Cons:

Widens bars, if you're into the more compact look.
Costs you money to find and purchase replacements.
Adds weight. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
My bike didn't come with them so I don't know what it like to have them vs not having them so....

What are the pros and cons?
No, you don't need them.
I remove all mine.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I decided to buy a pair for aesthetic reasons. They are not weighted so they only just cover the hole. I had heard that they slow steering response when they are weighted so I opted out of that.

They are short and chromed with "RR" laser etched into them to match the chrome grips with "RR" laser etched into them. The grips are open ended and well this bike is becoming about looks as much as performance.

Thanks for the input guys.

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
Well I decided to buy a pair for aesthetic reasons. They are not weighted so they only just cover the hole. I had heard that they slow steering response when they are weighted so I opted out of that.

They are short and chromed with "RR" laser etched into them to match the chrome grips with "RR" laser etched into them. The grips are open ended and well this bike is becoming about looks as much as performance.

On the 929 I just pressed some plastic furniture plugs into the holes.
On one of my GSXR's I made discs out of 8mm aluminium plate just for crash protection.

·
Registered
59 Posts

I would love to find the guy that said weighted bar ends slow steering and see how he came up with that one, :idunno:

I like the weighted ones as they cut the buzzing bars but to each their own, :D

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
I would love to find the guy that said weighted bar ends slow steering and see how he came up with that one, :idunno:
Well, do you think strapping a 10kg barbell weight to each handlebar would slow the steering response?

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
Yeah, 10 kg, but we are talking a few oz's. If your that weak that you notice weighted bar ends, you shouldn't be on a track, and yes, I race so I know what I am talking about.
I read that as meaning "yes, weighted bar ends do slow the steering", right?
It's nothing to do with weakness.
It's about maximising your feedback from the tyre and track surface.
Anything that slows your steering _must_ slow that feedback.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I read that as meaning "yes, weighted bar ends do slow the steering", right?
It's nothing to do with weakness.
It's about maximising your feedback from the tyre and track surface.
Anything that slows your steering _must_ slow that feedback.

No, they won't slow the steering, like I said, I would love to find the guy that came up with that and ask how he determined it. Yes, they would have to be 5lbs of mass on each side to hinder the bike.

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
No, they won't slow the steering, like I said, I would love to find the guy that came up with that and ask how he determined it. Yes, they would have to be 5lbs of mass on each side to hinder the bike.
So you believe that 5lbs would slow the steering but "a few ounces" won't - how does that work?
At what point does the weight start to make a difference?
I race too but I don't know everything :)

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
People who know what they are talking about should know that you turn the bike more with your legs and not your arms, if not they must be getting arm pump and can't feel their fingers by the 2nd or 3rd lap.:whistle:
I suggest you try locking your steering head solid then and let us know how that works out for you ;-)

·
Registered
59 Posts
People who know what they are talking about should know that you turn the bike more with your legs and not your arms, if not they must be getting arm pump and can't feel their fingers by the 2nd or 3rd lap.:whistle:
Your kidding right? :huh: Can we put your arms in a full cast and put you on the bike, :rotfl:

So you believe that 5lbs would slow the steering but "a few ounces" won't - how does that work?
At what point does the weight start to make a difference?
I race too but I don't know everything :)
I don't even know if 5lbs would do anything, the point is, yes, at some point the weight will affect the bike but the few oz's that bar ends weight won't affect anything. If you want, try it it out at a track, see what happens. I raced with the stock bars and ends then after a crash broke one, I put aftermarket ones on, did exactly the same lap times and noticed no change in effort.

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
Your kidding right? :huh: Can we put your arms in a full cast and put you on the bike, :rotfl:

I don't even know if 5lbs would do anything, the point is, yes, at some point the weight will affect the bike but the few oz's that bar ends weight won't affect anything. If you want, try it it out at a track, see what happens. I raced with the stock bars and ends then after a crash broke one, I put aftermarket ones on, did exactly the same lap times and noticed no change in effort.
If 5lbs will effect it then obviously so will a few ounces, the effect will just be less noticeable. Just because you don't notice it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. If you run a damper then you're even more unlikely to notice it since that will already be reducing your feedback much more significantly.
I remove everything that slows the steering including routing all cables away from the bars.

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
Ok I'll try that.....but I did say MORE with your legs than you arms, or thats what I meant, not no arms at all. :D
I don't recommend you try it as you will crash for certain :)
I'm not talking about steering though as much as being able to feel the bars and tyre moving around to tell you about tyre traction. You want that feedback to be as realtime as it can possibly be.

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
I don't recommend you try it as you will crash for certain :)
I'm not talking about steering though as much as being able to feel the bars and tyre moving around to tell you about tyre traction. You want that feedback to be as realtime as it can possibly be.
I know exactly what you were saying, and that makes total sense, I just kept seeing all this bar ends slowing steering down and wanted make the point that most of the effort that goes into turning the bike should not be with your arms.....and I won't be trying that anytime soon.:D

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.