Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

Do you use a 'clip on' master link on chain ?

55K views 31 replies 15 participants last post by  saf 
#1 ·
Just wondering if any of you guys switched from the endless chain, back to the clip on link style , when you did your chain/sprocket replacement ? I had a chain come apart on my last bike ( zx1000) doing over 115mph, which resulted in a hole being ripped into the side of my motor when the clip on master link decided to come off.Benefits of clip on link = being able to take your chain off to clean whenver you want, can't do that with a stock chain so simply.Also, how good are those "screw on " type links ? I 'm assuming you would be using high strength Locktite on that type.....any of you drag strip racers using clip links ?

#2 ·
I have a 525 X-ring chain, I am using a clip on type master link. I tried to remove the masterlink once... what a joke as it would not budge. The clip came off easy enough, but the link was on there very tight. Next chain I am going to use the rivet on link. I agree a chain coming off at high speed or even on the freeway at normal speeds could be very dangerous.

I want to eventually buy a MotionPro chain tool kit.

#6 ·
Now this is a funny topic with bikes.

I hear so much hate for the clip link, yet im from a mx backround where ive won aus championships on em, never lost one, others have won worlds championships, raced in desert races, paris dakar etc etc, clip link.

But ok they arent road bikes, granted. I however believe that with cush drives the resonance thru the driveline is even less, hence the ability for the clip to pop off is even less.

But there is also a little known fact on putting on clip links. Clip links are pressed, or punched from a tensile steel. When you look real close at the clip itself, it is rounded on one side, and really flat on the other. Kinda like a " D " from side on. The rounded edges should always face the side link/plate, as its better for frequency/resonance etc for it to resist falling off.

And of course when the chain is on the way back to the countershaft sprocket, on the top row, the clip should be in a "C" position, not facing around the other way.

To go out of the way to make sure you never loose one, add a smear of three bond across the clip and sideplate. Wont come off, ever.

I do admit on my race bike i still peen my link over, but on my track/stunter i just use clip links so i can change gearing easy. Despite popular rumor, clip links are no weaker than peen over links, they use the same side plates, same pins you name it.

I also attribute poor chain/sprocket maintinance / lubrication to link failure.

Id say its a 50/50 thing.

#10 ·
Flea, Im not going to disagree with you on that mate.

On my race bike i peen over, on my stunter/track bike i clip link, its just easy. Ive not lost one, but i think its also a maintinance item too. That clip will to some degree vibrate and move form day one ..... people just put em on and expect to only replace it when they do chains and sprockets later some 15,000kms later. Sadly, that isnt the case.

#14 ·
I'm a clip guy.

Guaranteed way to make a clip fall off: bend and tweak the clip trying to get it off with a dull screwdriver. Its spring steel, but that doesn't mean it can be torqued to disfigure it. When its bent, fatigue may help it break and fly off.

I *hate* rivets. If only more people knew how to use a clip.

#15 ·
You can actually safety wire the sideplate on, i do know racers that refuse to rivet/peen because of never having a problem with clips, one being a RC-51 racer (v-twins give chains a really hard time).

I'm a clip guy.
I *hate* rivets. If only more people knew how to use a clip.
Agreed on that, such a simple design yet so many people dont even install it correctly.

#19 ·
If you have a link and perhaps look at it like this ....

o=o

You run the safety wire across the back to front of the " = " part vertically, and pull it up towards with your safety wire pliers so the twist is now facing vertically towards the ducktail, this puts the link under compression, snip the overlap of wire about 5mm past, and bend it back down on itself towards the ground. Presto.

#18 ·
If a riveted chain last circa 15,000 miles and a lot sport bike riders (in the UK) do about 3,000 a year (really-my 929 was 5 years old with less than 12,000 on the clock, my 954 was 3 years old with 5,000) so that's 5-years per chain/rivet-link. I can't see any reason not to use one - how often do you want to take the chain off that you need a quick release spring clip? If its once in 5 years, or even every 2-years I'd just rather have the rivet.

Ya maybe it poor fitting/maintainence - the rivets don't fall off though.

Racers my well use them but I suspect they DO have the chain off more often than once every 5-years, and check the bike over in more detail than I do going out for a Sunday ride with my mates and a quick trip to work - racers are probably checking before every race/practice/quali etc.

my 2c

#23 ·
Sime, The thing is, i am not trying to convert you across to anything. One who doesnt take the knowledge or experience of others in another method is a fool, how they choose to do things after they know, doesnt make them foolish hence your doing the right thing riveting (im not saying its wrong). That is the only reason ill share my point of view that i use both, and never had a problem with either.

HP and cleaning have nothing to do with clip links either. My superbike has around the ballpark of 200hp and even on that ive run at times a clip when ive not had a fresh ERV rivet link to replace it with, and as ive said it doesnt make the chain any weaker. As far as cleaning goes, all you need is a used toothbrush and some kero to give it a good shine.

#24 ·
I have to agree with you Saf, I've used both and never lost a chain due to a clip failure. I'll happily use whichever link comes with the chain although in a situation where I had both I'd likely lean toward the rivet link. A spring clip link is _no_ weaker than a rivet link as long as the outer plate is in place and that comes down to maintenance rather than any weakness.
A spring clip _must_ be siliconed though in my opinion and kero is the best for chain cleaning for sure.

#26 ·
so why do they fall off, or do the pixies take them in the night? ;)

never seen a forklift do 160 either!!

But I totally agree the clip is not taking the strain at all, the side plates of the chain and the pins are where the forces are, but clips DO come off and the result is not something I wish to witness if the plate then came off too. I can see there is not wrong or right, and those that use clips that never come off great! and I hope you never ever have one come off that you don't spot in time either.

Clip + lockwire sounds a good compromise imo but will still would go for riveted chain link not anytime, everytime!

#27 ·
so why do they fall off,
See here lies the answer a million people wanna know. Me included.

Even the best die hard clip haters, you ask and they give you that blank stare ....

:hmm: <----- like that. BUT they know that they fail, but arent sure why or how :)

I think personally, maintenance is a MAJOR key to this answer. When i worked at dealerships pushing spanners, i would service peoples bikes, run a light past the calipers and check pads wear etc, and would spot a master link without the clip, BUT having excess amounts of chainlube and grime on the side plate.

Meaning, it didnt just fall off last week, how can people not notice ?. Fact is we ride high performance sport bikes, but fact is people rarely go around and check whats going on with the bike. Until they had no pedal, most people would never know they are low on rear brake fluid. Clip links are not a set and forget forever affair.

Also, with clip links you still need to knock on the sideplates, they are a push on fit. Press the plate on too far, and the clip can vibrate and pop off. Dont press it on enuf and the edges can round off in vibration and again ... pop off .

When you silicone them, i believe that the vibration is dampened, me i use a liquid gasket formula called Three Bond. Along with putting the clip in properly, the right side up, pressing the plate on enough, and silicone, you will never loose a link.

Just curious , out of every 10 people who say they would never use a clip link, id dare guess 9 have never used one, and only go by what is common knowledge or rumor.

Like i said before, not trying to convert, but i find amusing all the hate. I think if your not changing gearing, there is no need to run a clip link. If your changing gearing from street to track , or track to stunts, then yea, grinding off and peening the rivets over gets to be a hassle each week , couple times a week.

#32 ·
I do, but that would be a trick question if i can see the fluid ... cause its linked to my front reservoir :) Sneaky.

And its only there for slow wheelies, the 1000RR im working on a button operated air ram / rear brake so tech inspections are happy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.