Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP!!!

I'm all lined up to buy a 2002 954 - low mileage, very clean, one owner, completely stock - it's just what I've been looking for.

BUT, there are 2 small scatches on the black paint of the frame. Just about where the rubber map under the tank shows.

Size is pretty small maybe 2 - 3mm long, < 1 mm wide. Depth is negligible.

I've put down my deposit - but are these 2 marks anything to worry about???

Many thanks for any advice you might have.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
A couple tiny scratches on a 3 year old bike? Take back your deposit, man!!
No, really it's most likely from him removing the gas tank for maintenance or mods. Does the bike have a PCIII? How about an aftermarket full exhaust? Installing/uninstalling a PCIII requires the tank to either be propped up or removed, and the previous owner may have removed/pinned the airbox flapper if he installed an aftermarket exhaust.

Can you wheelie?

·
Registered
3 Posts
insurance companies will often total a bike if it has a scratched frame after an accident. make sure the title is clear if the bike is advertised as such.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Many thanks for all the advice. I was worried as I had read that these frames easily become insurance write-offs.

From what I understand I only need to worry if the actual metal is bend or affected in some way. I think the careless tank fitting might be the cause.

Otherwise the bike is like it's out of the box. Just 890 miles and still on the original tyres.

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
BDA116 said:
Can you wheelie?
how come you never ask about stoppies?

Sirkbac said:
I don't think they would total it over some superficial scratches, it's a dent in the frame that will total it.
go up to argo cycles and see how many scratched bikes they have that have salvage or rebuilt titles. couple scratches on the fairing and maybe the can and a little convincing and they insurance company will total it.

Scratch said:
I'm a Scratch, and dammit I matter!
stop kidding yourself, you own a gixxer you don't matter. just another squid. :D

·
Registered
799 Posts
CBR929RE said:
go up to argo cycles and see how many scratched bikes they have that have salvage or rebuilt titles. couple scratches on the fairing and maybe the can and a little convincing and they insurance company will total it.
And Argo will still ask "Like new" prices on some dented up junker. It's amazing they can sell anything.

Example:
Check www.argocycles.com for a CBR 929rr, I'd directly link it but the auto url parse is F'ing up the link.

They are selling a wrecked one for $5,599

1 - 16 of 16 Posts