Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always used to grow a few bits, tomatoes, beans and herbs, but haven't for the last 2 years, but just today started off some of my fruit and veggies for this summer..

So far, my runner beans are soaking in water so they germinate faster.. Two sorts of tomato seeds are now planted in their pots on my kitchen window sill.. My baby strawberry plants are in a bigger pot to grow on a bit before they go in their hanging basket in the garden after the frosts finish..

Plus I'm looking at digging a veggie patch in part of the garden so I can grow a few more things..

Anyone else....

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Oh it is so fun :D Good for you:clap: have you ever planted potatoes with the kids? If not then do it this time ,take a regular potatoe (once you have your garden patch ready) the cut it like in quaters making sure you have the eye. :p Plant it watch ready to grow then when you get ready to have the first potatoes (they are called new potatoes - like baby potatoes) they are the best thing. Really take the kids have them dig for them they will have fun & get a kick out of it:D :smilebig: :D google it if you have not had before they are good to eat.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I recently planted...
1- Apple tree-back of house
1-Peach tree-back of house
2-Orange trees-back of house

This weekend the father in law and I will plant...
1-lemmon tree-back of house
1-Tangerine tree-front of house
1-Orange tree-front of house
1-green lime tree-front of house

a bunch of rose bushes around the front of the drive way, and will get started on the garden patch, i will post pictures nex week....
Me and the misuss are exited..

·
Premium Member
11,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gypsy, my daughter is excited about growing things.. she helped me this afternoon with planting the seeds and she wants to help me with the garden.. I'm gonna buy some more tomorrow and get them started too..
My Grandad and Dad always used to grow fruit and veggies so I suppose I picked it up from them...

Don't know if I'll have room for potatoes as our garden isn't that big, but I remember helping dig them up when I was little :D

Jkobflys - WOW, I'm officially impressed :thumb:

I wish I had room for fruit trees :(

I'll be measuring up the bit of garden I'm gonna use in the next day or so and then will get to digging :crap: not looking forward to that bit, but it will be worth it in the end :thumb:

I'm also going to plant herbs and such in big tubs as well, along with a few flowers so they look pretty as well as are edible.. You really cant beat a fresh herb salad straight from your garden in the summer, especially with some fresh picked tomatoes :thumb:

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
We grow a small veggie garden every year with mostly beans, cucumbers, tomatoes, and several types of lettuce, along with a few herbs. Everything we need to make great salads!

The ground and nights are still too cold here to plant yet...we usually have to wait until April.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Not anymore the police came and took all the Herb I grew:rotfl:JK

I do grow numerous herbs and spices, eggplants, pineapples(trying it out), and a few differnt peppers as I love spicey stuff.

·
Premium Member
11,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do grow numerous herbs and spices, eggplants, pineapples(trying it out), and a few differnt peppers as I love spicey stuff.

I managed to get a pineapple growing from a pineapple top.. It was doing just fine till I dropped it moving it :crying:

I found something like this on the interweb and followed it... Pineapple link

:hmm: Must do another one :D

·
Registered
857 Posts
Yeah I started a pineapple at my parents one day when I was visting. My mum was cutting up a pineapple and had the top sitting there, so being the green thumb that I am I threw it in a pot and it has been growing since last spring. Just bought a pinapple last week so I tossed the top in a pot at my condo, but maybe I'll geriminate/root it in the glass(thanks Loopy) like you would a plumeria.

·
Premium Member
11,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:hmm:The funniest bit about doing the pineapple was going to the supermarket and finding the right one..

There I was, stood in the fruit section, picking up pineapple after pineapple and tugging the leaves in the centrer.. If they came out the pineapple went back on the shelf until I found a good one where the leaves didn't come out..

I got some seriously funny looks :rotfl:

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
I used to have a lean-to (not sure how to spell it) a few years ago but it was knocked down when I had the extension.

Then I had an allotment patch but never found time for it so it went.

Now I've got a little patch where I grow tomatoes on a yearly basis... Tried small chillis but Zion (the youngest one) thought it would be fun to eat on them :rant:

I'm going to plant some garlic and corriander this year - Nothing can beat home grown!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I managed to get a pineapple growing from a pineapple top.. It was doing just fine till I dropped it moving it :crying:

I found something like this on the interweb and followed it... Pineapple link

:hmm: Must do another one :D
Thanks loopy that sounds like a great idea and great link as well:thumb:

·
Premium Member
11,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm going to plant some garlic and corriander this year - Nothing can beat home grown!
I love eating coriander.. thats on my herb list for this year as well as flat leaf parsley, chives, normal parsley, garlic chives are nice if you can find them.. And they all make great additions to salads for the summer :thumb:

I buy the potted herbs from the supermarket as well and split the plants and pop them in tubs outside.. they've done really well in the past for me

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
I love eating coriander..
I am usually cooking with it when making curries but always have to buy them from the local shops... Just gives it that extra taste.

I have to be careful due to Zion thinking its a place for him to play in (if he isnt ripping the grass out, he is peeing all over the plants killing them)

·
Premium Member
11,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have to be careful due to Zion thinking its a place for him to play in (if he isnt ripping the grass out, he is peeing all over the plants killing them)
You think you have problems.. I've gotta keep Dog off my veggie patch :hmm:

I'm gonna have to make up some sort of fencing I can get over but he cant...

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
Haha fencing won't stop Zion. He is a shifty one I must say.

Would be nice dedicating one complete section of the garden for it but the way the british weather is, I doubt anywhere is suitable unless its right in the middle.

·
Registered
857 Posts
MMMM curry:stirpot: :yumyum: I grow my own sweet basil for my curry. I prefer Thai curry over the Indian style though. I like the taste of the lemon grass that is in the Thai style and some nice thick coconut milk and brown sugar.MMMMMMMM I'm hungry now!

·
Premium Member
11,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
:hmm: Right.. Hit the town again today and now have a MEGA incentive to get veggie patch dug...

I just got 2 raspberry bushes, 1 blackcurrent bush, 1 red current bush and some of the yellow baby tomato plants... And I got them all for £1 each :D:smilebig:

There is a new Pound Shop opened in town and like it says everything in it is £1!! So had a proper good look through the plants I was looking for and picked the best ones I could find, with the most amount of fresh growing shoots :thumb:

:hmm: Plus I got a couple of rose bushes as well... a beautiful purple flowered one and a white flowered one..

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Gosh I wish we could plant but the new mangers have said can only have 3 small like flowers pots by the door:thumbd: they came in change the "rules" in the apartment complex, this one lady across the way has lived there for years and has a beauitful flower garden. They told her she had to limit it to 3 plants, could not believe it.:mad: :crap: :crying: that is why they have over 20 units empty now just with the last few months people are moving out ***:hmm:
1. encomony (people can hardly afford it or lost job)
2. Rules that new mangers put into place have really made someone long time residents mad (cant blame them)
3. I like the place but for the $ I can get a bigger & nicer place

·
Premium Member
11,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I even found an orange tree we can keep inside here in the UK, so am gonna get one of them as well soon :thumb:

1 - 20 of 71 Posts