Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at this for a long time (on the non-flying side.) I actually had a good opportunity to get in when I was 21 and passed (doh!)

I know that you start part-time and have to work up. I know the hours can be long and I know you're hustling, especially as a driver.

I'm looking for the inside scoop. My wife has a friend who works for them but it's 2am, I'm wired, and I don't think he'll appreciate me calling. :)

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
One of my racing buddies has been with them for years. Got in early and climbed the ladder. Drove for years and is now a supervisor. Makes plenty of coin and has all kinds of time to spend at the track.
He likes the organization a lot, but I've heard him give others similar advice to what SSG stated. Get in early or it's more difficult.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Don't feel like flying for them?

I met one of their senior instructor pilots on a flight from Detroit to Louisville and he told me they're hiring pilots.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
My bro works for DHL so he knows drivers from all those operations, he told me about one who just retired from UPS and all I can say is DAMN they make a lot of cake to not work!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I know a kid who works out of the UPS distribution center in Newark (~30 miles from you, DUX). He was there for less than two years, I believe, and lucked into a driving gig - first as a backup guy, then within a couple months, with his own route. For a guy who's 21, it's great money.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I was going to suggest that CBR929RE take heed of this thread, but that'd probably be like trying to convince Stegen to wear a condom.

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
Pete said:
I was going to suggest that CBR929RE take heed of this thread, but that'd probably be like trying to convince Stegen to wear a condom.
you know I've actually thought about it. I get emails from FedEx all the time about positions but its almost always in the midwest somewhere. Not sure if UPS pays a lot more than FedEx but FedEx starts around $11-13 for a courier. Thats not exactly a lot.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
The whole point is that you HAVE to start somewhere. Starting at a lower pay grade in a UPS warehouse may not look too enticing, but you will have the opportunity to grow in the company and eventually make good money.
Starting out at $13/hour may look better to you (?), but staying at that pay grade won't.
Good jobs don't just fall in the laps of high school grads with little experience. You have to work your way up.

Sheesh, why does that all feel like a total waste of time?

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
BDA116 said:
Good jobs don't just fall in the laps of high school grads with little experience. You have to work your way up.
I think he has a college degree...but the rest of your post is spot on.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Yeah, Art isn't a major that will open lots of doors for you, but I know of many jobs that require a degree in anything to be hired.

San Jose Police Department is a good example. They make lots of the fact all of their cops have degrees. But they don't have to be in criminal justice.

In many jobs, BA or BS degree is just a checkbox for HR.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
luvtolean said:
Yeah, Art isn't a major that will open lots of doors for you, but I know of many jobs that require a degree in anything to be hired.

San Jose Police Department is a good example. They make lots of the fact all of their cops have degrees. But they don't have to be in criminal justice.

In many jobs, BA or BS degree is just a checkbox for HR.
Okay, Mr. Sympathetic. :D

1 - 20 of 36 Posts