Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to put projector headlights on my RC51. Wondering if anyone in here knows how to do it. If anyone has done it or knows how, please walk me through it... if you have pictures that would help out a lot. Thanks to all!

·
Registered
763 Posts
That makes two of us. I'm looking at modding some projectors from an Audi TT headlight. My concern is room behind the headlight. You need a few inches between the projector lense and the bulb and I'm not sure if I have that room to spare. I think the first thing I'll do is buy a junk headlight and try cutting and fitting the projector. After i get it mocked up, if it fits ok and the procedure isnt too risky, I'll be doing it to my good headlights. If or when I get to this, I'll post something. ITMT, maybe someone else has some insight.

·
Registered
921 Posts
That kit looks pretty interesting. It looks easier to install than what I did. From looking at the pictures, it comes with the same wiring harness that I used on my project. The main power goes straight to the battery, and the signals to turn on the lights and high beam come from the H4 bulb harness. The only splicing I did was for the angel eyes. I spliced them into the harness for the front marker light. Draw is low enough that I didn't have to upgrade any fuses or relays.

The only thing I did change from the kit is the fuse holder for the main power. The one in the kit wasn't waterproof, and we just can't have that on a motorcycle! I picked up a waterproof housing for a few dollars. You can probably find them at almost any auto store, or even RadioShack.

·
Registered
55 Posts
That kit looks pretty interesting. It looks easier to install than what I did. From looking at the pictures, it comes with the same wiring harness that I used on my project. The main power goes straight to the battery, and the signals to turn on the lights and high beam come from the H4 bulb harness. The only splicing I did was for the angel eyes. I spliced them into the harness for the front marker light. Draw is low enough that I didn't have to upgrade any fuses or relays.

The only thing I did change from the kit is the fuse holder for the main power. The one in the kit wasn't waterproof, and we just can't have that on a motorcycle! I picked up a waterproof housing for a few dollars. You can probably find them at almost any auto store, or even RadioShack.
Neat. Should I be concerned about main power being obtained directly from the battery in terms of seriously shortening its life spam? Do you think the kit I highlighted is overpriced? Thanks man; your help is highly appreciated. Oh one more thing, seriously, do you have to bake your headlights in an oven in order to get the glass housing off the headlight frame?

·
Registered
228 Posts
You might not have to bake them, but you will probably crack or destroy them trying to pull them apart. You can use a heat gun if you want, but it is difficult. The only problem that I can see with the link that was posted tk the setup is that I don't k ow who they are. Lifetime warranties aren't any good if you can't get a hold of the company in five years. The best bet would be to go with a used projector from a car and then getting the bulb/ballast setup from
someone that you trust.

As to the RC51, there were a couple guys that did them on speedzilla but no write ups. I think the best projector to go with for the rc is the infinity bi-xenon models as they are smaller than most. I would really like tk do this some day, but there are onther things ahead of this on the list. $500 is close to a used ohlins shock.

·
Registered
55 Posts
You might not have to bake them, but you will probably crack or destroy them trying to pull them apart. You can use a heat gun if you want, but it is difficult. The only problem that I can see with the link that was posted tk the setup is that I don't k ow who they are. Lifetime warranties aren't any good if you can't get a hold of the company in five years. The best bet would be to go with a used projector from a car and then getting the bulb/ballast setup from
someone that you trust.

As to the RC51, there were a couple guys that did them on speedzilla but no write ups. I think the best projector to go with for the rc is the infinity bi-xenon models as they are smaller than most. I would really like tk do this some day, but there are onther things ahead of this on the list. $500 is close to a used ohlins shock.
I figure I'll play safe and just order a bi-xenon kit without projectors; but, in this case, I have to deal with enraged motorists coming from the opposite direction ;) Ever heard of DDM? Here's the site: Motorcycle HID Conversion Kits .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.