Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I attached a video, I believe it is the cct (you can hear it normally always, but it is louder on cold starts)

I don't know if you can feel it, but when you blip the throttle from idle, you hear that something is slapping on the inside of the engine, and you can even feel it if you sit on the bike

I've had this 'issue'? since I bought it 2 yrs ago, but apart from that it runs smoothly, and no loss of power or anything. I usually do trackdays so I'm afraid that if I let this go it may break the engine. Didn't have the chance to test another 954... there aren't many around here, so I don't know if it's normal (I know these are noise engines)

What do you guys think? It has 80k km (50k miles), I've had bad experiences in the past with workshops so I'm asking you first :)

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
hard to tell really. it could be the CCT, but it could be the chain itself stretched by 80k km. you might have a bit of piston slap, my 929 sound quite slappy when cold. a manual tensioner is good and you know where you are with it, there is no doubt it is working, the down side is that you have to check it from time to time. Personally I like the manual one I have, a ATE Manual cam chain tensioner from www.PitStopPerformance.com for $70, cheaper than I could find in the UK even allowing for delivery!

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
you can also re-tension the OE CCT. It can be easily disassembled, you can count the number of turns the spring has as pre-load, then give it another couple of turns. Then forget it for ever, mine have never given any more problems since being re-tensioned. (cbr6 and 929 blade)
Im000980.jpg

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you can also re-tension the OE CCT. It can be easily disassembled, you can count the number of turns the spring has as pre-load, then give it another couple of turns. Then forget it for ever, mine have never given any more problems since being re-tensioned. (cbr6 and 929 blade)
that's good info!!!

hard to tell really. it could be the CCT, but it could be the chain itself stretched by 80k km. you might have a bit of piston slap, my 929 sound quite slappy when cold. a manual tensioner is good and you know where you are with it, there is no doubt it is working, the down side is that you have to check it from time to time. Personally I like the manual one I have, a ATE Manual cam chain tensioner from www.PitStopPerformance.com for $70, cheaper than I could find in the UK even allowing for delivery!
Yeah, I saw some manual cct on ebay UK, pretty cheap actually, with gaskets and so

But we have a plot twist guys, I discovered that when I pull the clutch that noise dissapears completely, so I guess it is the clutch, I just didn't noticed it
On neutral, when you release the clutch, there are lots of vibrations (you can even feel it on the lever), and when you blip the throotle it makes that sound, something is not right on my clutch (since I bought it like 2 years ago)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bad news, replaced the clutch springs with new ones (ebc) and sound is still there

1 - 5 of 5 Posts