Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the size of your bike really matter, 600,750,900,929,1000. I really want a bigger bike for various reasons,but does it really matter? Everyone I ride with either has a newer 600 or bigger. It seems like it is getting harder and harder for me to keep up with them. I always have my wife on the back and that makes it even harder to keep up on the old Hurricane. I love my bike and really wouldn't want to get rid of it but I am tired of being left behind. I have sat on and ridden a 900 and I like the way it feels. But would that even be enough next year? I was thinking that maybe I could do some work to my bike over the winter, but I still wonder if it will be enough.? Any advice??

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
IMHO, having a liter-bike simply allows you to be lazy. I used to ride my favorite stretch in one gear. As long as I was above 5k in fourth gear, I could stay in that gear all day. I know plenty of riders on 600s who are faster than I am, though. Heck, the fastest riders at Gateway are on Gixxer-600s and they're passing everyone.

I guess the point is that it just takes more work to ride a 600 fast but it can be done. 90% of us can't even use a new 600 to its fullest potential.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ER :  Heck, the fastest riders at Gateway are on Gixxer-600s and they're passing everyone.

I guess the point is that it just takes more work to ride a 600 fast but it can be done.  90% of us can't even use a new 600 to its fullest potential.
That's my problem, either they have bigger bikes or newer 600's (R6,636,Gixxer600's). I can ride it fast BUT I get concerned when we are going WAY TOO FAST on the highways, and I have my wife on the back. We can be cruising down the road at about 80 and then if they want to pick up the pace they are gone and I am about 10-15 sec. behind them. I get tired of being the last one there, I know it is better to be safe but it just gets on my nerves to to see them always pulled over waiting for me or having to slow down and wait.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
My opinion is that if you want to haul ass with your buddies, leave your wife at home.

However, if you insist on endangering her, yes, a liter bike will do the job better.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
luvtolean : My opinion is that if you want to haul ass with your buddies, leave your wife at home.

However, if you insist on endangering her, yes, a liter bike will do the job better.
No, I don't like endangering my wife. She likes going fast and I try to explain to her that it is not fun for me because if something happens then I 'm responsible for it and her. I have to fuss with her to get her to understand why she has to always wear a jacket, gloves, boots. I finally told het that if she doesn't want to wear the right gear then she won't ride. I told her that when she gets her own motorcycle then she can wear or not wear want she wants.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
...and there you have it, you found the solution yourself

Get another (new?) bike for yourself, and have her ride the Hurricane. Problem solved

·
Registered
18 Posts
1. Buy a liter bike, they're 10 times the fun. Can you have too much power?
2. Make the wife stay at home.
3. Ride with your buddies; smoke them all.
4. Come home and get a victory blowjob.
5. Give the wife the Hurricane and teach her to ride it.
6. Get a blow job
7. Now you can all ride together.

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
If you have never experienced the low-end torque of a liter bike, not to mention the gobs more horsepower, you need to. Once you do you may never go back to the 600's again. It's sort of a matter of how often you like to shift, and how fast you want to go from 0 to 100 mph.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
2OHOH2954 : ...and there you have it, you found the solution yourself

Get another (new?) bike for yourself, and have her ride the Hurricane. Problem solved
I have talked about that with her, but she said that it is too heavy for her. She dropped it into the fence one day riding it around the yard at slow speed. I have been trying to talk her into taking the MSF class, she says she is scared that she is going to fall in front of everyone. And I try to explain to her that that's fine, I tell her better to fall in the class than on the street with cars behind and in front of you.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Mmm'kayy.... get a ST1300, FJR1300, or Goldwing, and your 2up woes will disappear... along with most of your riding buddies

·
Registered
329 Posts
thrl-skr : Quote (2OHOH2954 @ Oct. 08 2003, 7:04pm)...and there you have it, you found the solution yourself

I have talked about that with her, but she said that it is too heavy for her. She dropped it into the fence one day riding it around the yard at slow speed. I have been trying to talk her into taking the MSF class, she says she is scared that she is going to fall in front of everyone. And I try to explain to her that that's fine, I tell her better to fall in the class than on the street with cars behind and in front of you.
Why not both of you take the MSF course together ? That way she can be confident knowing that you are with her incase something silly does happen.

SS

·
Registered
548 Posts
Had my wife take the MSF course in the hopes she would take a serious interest in riding. She passed but also dropped the bike a couple of times. Came home crying after one episode (I think the first day). I encouraged her to finish and she did. Got the endorsment but never a bike. I don't have to explain today why I took the passenger seat off and she doesn't seem to mind. She knows it's dangerous putting your life in the hands of another rider and respects the fact that I don't want to be the one responsible for causing harm to an innocent passenger.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Personally, I don't think competition among friends has any place on the public roads unless it's an innocent side by side roll-on or somesuch. (Dicing in the curves is beyond stupid.) So beyond what I've mentioned above, if your buddies are all leaving you behind, find new buddies or ride alone.

There is a flip side to this love affair many of us have with liter class machines. That is, on a bike like, say, an SV650 or even one of the current 600cc I4 machines, you can have a good time giving 'er the whip and still have a reasonable shot at retaining your license. It's far too easy to reach ridiculously fast velocities on the bigger bikes.

In closing, if I lived anywhere near a truly great motorcycling road (Blue Ridge Parkway for instance), I'd not own an open class machine. Honestly.

Edit: If you've never read this, please do so...

http://www.postaldave.com/pace/pace2.html

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
1 - get wife to get her own bike. it's more fun
2 - litre bike is great on the road - it's nice to be able to overtake that semi without having to click down 4 gears.
3 - if you want to be king of the twisties, get a 600 and do lots of courses.

Z...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Honestly, just my $.02. My first bike in 2001 was a brandnew 929. Till this day I have yet to lay her down. If you think a better investment is for a 1 liter bike then get it. Its not wether you have been riding for years or months ..its how much respect you have for your bike and self controll to not go banging wheelies every stop light..etc. Respect the bike and she'll respect you.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
I have to disagree with you apok.  (Although in this case, I think thrl has enough of experience)

A guy I know just bought a new GSXR750 last week.  Wouldn't take my advice for something smaller.  In 4 days he crashed it twice, once making a left turn at an intersection and panicked, and once tucking the front on a botts dot merging on the freeway.

Sure, the guy probably isn't the most gifted rider, but he wasn't messing around, and he certainly isn't unique.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts