Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,171 Posts
Presently, I have no clue. However, I have the manuals at home ( for US models, I will read them to see, if that sheds any light on this subject), and I have a some friends at the Honda shop where I bought my bike. I will ask and surely find out. I think most US bikes are restricted to 186 but, do not know for sure, or, if the CBR is just gear limitted, or if the ECU is limitted.:)
No, I have not had my bike to that speed yet. Be home around the 12th, let you know then.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
As it says. Does any one know if the speed is restricted like on some other bikes to 186mph. UK model RR8??
If you could get it up to 186mph then I'd expect it to be limited.
I'm not sure if the manufacturers are putting limiters in bikes that can't achieve that speed though.
I _think_ the limiter is using the signal from the speed sensor so if you lower the gearing you might find you're hitting the limiter because the ECU believes the bike is hitting 186mph even though it might only be doing 170.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I think that in a very recent Bike mag test aginst the new S1000 RR it only managed a frankly pathetic 179 MPH.:rotfl:I guess the best way to find out is to put one on a dyno,flat chat in 6th.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I dont think a dyno is even gonna be right. I dont think that the RR8 is limited. I think that with a small enough rider (my sister is 126 lbs with gear) more than 186 mph is achievable. She runs the hell outta busa riders on her RR9. I think that the R1 is another one that is not restricted.

·
Registered
824 Posts
top speed was 181 in a top speed shootout in one of the mags....who needs to go 190 anyways??? 175 is fast enough and when your going that fast you cant imagine going any faster..at least i couldnt...and yes it was closed course

·
Premium Member
4,171 Posts
Cause when you go 190 and above, your hair gets all tingly, and you cant remember things that the wife/girlfriend/motherinlaw/sister, and any other bothersome subject said or did?:cycle:

·
Registered
74 Posts
I attended a dyno shoot out where a stock motor, slip on piped 08 with a 40 tooth rear sprocket "hit" what the dyno said to be 206 but we all theres no way that bike could hope to actually push itself thru the air at that speed.

·
Registered
824 Posts
ya not a chance...not even the MV agusta 312 can actually go 312 kmph like MV claimed...which is 194mph...i believe it topped out at 190 in a test..the new cbr1k can probably go about 185 in perfect conditions...thats just a guess...even the new zzr14 kawi only hit a top speed of 191 and i believe as of right now thats the fastest jap bike...

·
Registered
900 Posts
I'll be on Snetterton's Revett straight March 19th with my '09 Blade. Maybe I can shed some light then? (Or not.):eek: :rotfl:
i wouldnt count on it !!!! i recon you wont do better than 5th gear, its just not long enough..let me know when you are going and i will ride over and watch, always fun to watch....and free!!:evilaugh:

·
Registered
121 Posts
I heard or read somewhere that all us bikes sold for the street after 2001 were limited to 186 in one way or another. I'm pretty sure I heard it while watching a show about the busa. The department of transportation and the bike companies agreed on this after busa that was rated at 200 plus mph. But this is all from memory so it could be messed up. So please dont bash me too hard.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
All Jap bikes in US are limited to 186mph for a fact but, alot of them won't hit 186mph.. I would put a stock 06 are above 1K in 170s actual GPS indicated. If someone has been faster then I will love to see it

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
I think it's a blanket agreement. I don't think bikes for any market are unrestricted now and some are still power restricted.

·
Registered
824 Posts
they did a test of all the popular sportbikes in last months edition of superbike and the 09cbr1k hit 181...and the zzr14 was the fastest at 187 or 189 cant remember...it was just an agreement between the jap bikes years ago to keep them under 186...no signed agreement..like bladeracer said some are restricted...some arnt...but the new cbr1k in perfect conditions with a back draft will definately go faster that 170...ive had my speedo show 175 and i still had room to go and it would have went if i kept pushing..even with speedo error thats still at least 170

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
ive had my speedo show 175 and i still had room to go and it would have went if i kept pushing..even with speedo error thats still at least 170
Not necessarily, there are a number of variables that affect your speedo error. It's not a simple or constant figure.
I would think 170mph is possible, 180 is unlikely I think.

·
Registered
75 Posts
i wouldnt count on it !!!! i recon you wont do better than 5th gear, its just not long enough..let me know when you are going and i will ride over and watch, always fun to watch....and free!!:evilaugh:
The track day's only 59 quid, which is good value to me. I'll either get lucky or unlucky with the weather, but hey! It's England after all.:rotfl:

1 - 20 of 68 Posts