Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not long ago, I purchased a used (go figure) 97 CBR900RR. It came from the seller with a Two Brothers high-mount exhaust.

Since my wife also likes to ride, I had to do something in order to get the passenger pegs back on. What I ended up doing was twisting the S pipe a little and getting it to sit lower. I also had to install a piece of stainless steel, which extends the canister band a little. (you'll see in a moment)

Since the canister no longer follows the upward lines of the side panels, I think it looks a bit odd. When I brought the bike to a friend for some work, he said that he likes how it looks.

I don't get the bike over enough to possibly drag the pipe, but I'm looking for opinions.

The first pic is how it looks mounted high, the second is how it looks mounted lower withthe passenger pegs. What do you think?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
It looks a little strange to me, but if it doesn't bother you then what does it matter?

You might could contact 2 Bros and see if you can get just the mid pipe for a low mount :idunno:

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I think I would go on ebay and get a pipe that works with the passenger pegs... then sell your old one on ebay. I think your neighbors would appreciate anything other than two brothers.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Form over function. It does what you want (how much more riding happens with a happy wife?). As far as dragging I think you hit hard parts long before the pipe :idunno:

Let the posers fixate on 'look', ride and enjoy that nice looking bike :thumb:

·
Registered
378 Posts
Looks weird but thats only because you brought my attention to it. I wouldn't have noticed or cared otherwise.

i agree.with the pic of the pipe mounted correctly right next to it its looks odd..but if you look at the pic of the new mounting method by itself it dosent look that odd ( only loooks wierd when both pics are next to one another...)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It looks a little strange to me, but if it doesn't bother you then what does it matter?

You might could contact 2 Bros and see if you can get just the mid pipe for a low mount :idunno:
Tried this route. They don't make anymore full systems for the 97, just the Flange-Ons. the only difference between the standard mount and the high mount was the S-pipe. (I also asked that question)

So, my options would be to find someone who has a standard mount S-pipe (tried this also, see http://www.fireblades.org/forums/wanted/48935-wanted-two-bros-ss-pipe-for-1997-cbr900rr.html )

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I would go on ebay and get a pipe that works with the passenger pegs... then sell your old one on ebay. I think your neighbors would appreciate anything other than two brothers.
Actually, this is one of the more subtle pipes that I've heard recently. I live in a townhouse and asked my surroundingneighbors if they heard the bike at all. I leave for work at 5:30am and everyojne I talked to said they never heard it.

Now you want to talk about loud . . . my first sportbike was a '90 CBR600F that I mounted a Vance & Hines Pro Supersport system on. I had a friend listen once to see how far he could hear me. I rode over 1.5 miles to where I ived at the time and he heard me until I parked the bike. That's LOUD!

By the way, thanks all for the compliments. I picked the bike about 2 months ago and the former owner took really great care of her. Always garaged and definitely not abused. She has 16K miles and runs like new. I'll take the same care that he did to preserve how she looks in the future.

The only mods that I want to do are a fender eliminator and a dark smoke double bubble screen, but for the most part, she'll stay as she is. (my OTHER wife)

·
Registered
876 Posts
i think it looks fine... I'm surprised though that they didnt' have some type of adapter for you to use to still allow the passenger pegs to mount.. all the highmounts i've put on have????

I say you did a good job of making it work!

E.

·
Registered
876 Posts
one would never know that... hell my high mount on the F4i is somewhat pushed in from lowsiden on the track on that side and everyone thinks it came that way when they first look at it... ;)

E.

·
Registered
12,773 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
I would trade ya midpipes.. I have a 95 with full tbr system. I want to go with the c5 oval, and high pipe. or maybe I will go crazy one day with the underseat. but after fabing up a ghetto ass midpipe for my hawk, I want the real deal. pm me if interested.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I think it looks fine. I may even like it better.

And if you scrape it in a corner... well,.....ah,..... you've crashed.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts