Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just say 'NO!' to on-call pagers for nerd-programmers. We rotate our Production pager weekly. A co-worker of mine who is out of town was scheduled to take it this Wednesday. He asked me to trade up with him and...well...here I am at work. I've had it for 36 hours and it's gone off 22 times now.

It's hit or miss, really. I've had it some weeks where it doesn't make a sound. Our primary server crashed Wednesday night and we've been scrambling to fix it since. We have batch-type jobs that run throughout the night and, as you can see, they weren't promoted properly to our backup server and here I am.

Woo-hoo!

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I had to be willing to take a turn in the rotation before I could sign on full-time. It's really a pain in the a$$ and I can understand why many people don't do it. We're still trying to iron things out. I can't imagine what you North-Eastern programmers are going through with that blackout.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
It comes with the turf, I'm on call once every 3 weeks, as in the whole week, f'in job. Some weeks I get lucky, no calls, then like last week, I get called in 4 or 5 nights out of 7, really blows ass. I get paid time and a half for whatever hours I work, $150 for being on call that week, and a minimum of 2 hours I get to bill if I even take a call after work. Sounds like you make $, but considering the gov't takes 35% of OT, f it, I'd rather stay at home. A few times, it is Sunday, nice day. I lube the chain, check PSI in the tires, put on my leathers, put all my in the trunk of the bike and stick the key in the ignition, and I hear this ringing from the trunk of the bike, and I'm like Mother bleep bleep son of a beep beep, I know it's work too, because my people know not to call Sunday am. If you are in the Tech industry at all, IT or Telecomm, it comes with the turf. I'm trying to get a new position in Seattle, partly because I'll only be on call once every 7 weeks instead of 3.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Not the tech industry Booth, IT. I'm in tech, and I damn sure ain't gonna wear a pager.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We're just about unphucked now. It's taken us two and a half days to fix everything. I've had to take my fair turn carrying the pager for about 7 months now but this is the worst I've seen it. Well, I spent a couple hours from my first track-day this year on the phone...that was fun.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
luvtolean : Not the tech industry Booth, IT.  I'm in tech, and I damn sure ain't gonna wear a pager.
Well we refer tech to meaning IT/Networking and Telecomm, any kind of network infrastructure, IE technology. Sorry didn't mean to piss on your career path

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
ND4SPDSHO : Quote (booth23 @ Aug. 15 2003, 10:51am) I'm trying to get a new position in Seattle, partly because I'll only be on call once every 7 weeks instead of 3.
And you'll also be riding in the rain a lot
Better than the infernal heat.

·
Registered
700 Posts
booth23 : Quote (ND4SPDSHO @ Aug. 15 2003, 1:53pm)Quote (booth23 @ Aug. 15 2003, 10:51am) I'm trying to get a new position in Seattle, partly because I'll only be on call once every 7 weeks instead of 3.
And you'll also be riding in the rain a lot
Better than the infernal heat.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
booth23 : Well we refer tech to meaning IT/Networking and Telecomm, any kind of network infrastructure, IE technology.  Sorry didn't mean to piss on your career path  
Yeah, and lots of IT guys with a Microsopht Cert and high school dimploma call themselves engineers too.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
luvtolean : Quote (booth23 @ Aug. 15 2003, 2:40pm)Well we refer tech to meaning IT/Networking and Telecomm, any kind of network infrastructure, IE technology.  Sorry didn't mean to piss on your career path  
Yeah, and lots of IT guys with a Microsopht Cert and high school dimploma call themselves engineers too.
Wow must a struck a chord with you then.

Well I have a couple of degrees, Microsoft Certs, Cisco Certs, Nortel/Ericsson certs, and I am most definitely a NETWORK engineer

1 - 20 of 21 Posts