Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I get my PCIII in April, SUPPOSEDLY preloaded with the Mori 1/2 system 104-023 map. Heck, it's even there in black and white on my receipt! 'Loaded with Mori 1/2 System'.

I installed my PCIII nearly the same time as my Devil 3/4 system. Anyway, I did alot of reading on experiences of the PCIII - read 'smoothness', 'surge leveled out', etc.

I kept thinking, hmm, no - the surge still happens right at 3500RPM and bike stutters under lower RPMs in 2nd gear around tight turns. I'm thinking, oh well, I'll get this thing custom mapped someday and it will smooth everything out.

So, just fooling around this weekend I decided to download whatever map is in my PCIII to my laptop. First of all I'm not crazy with the software NOT displaying what map number it has, just cell readings that you have to compare/reference, Second, you have to load the zero map (not upload - but load to program to display cell info) then 'Get All' command. Well, I had problems with the 'Get All', and to make a long story short - I loaded the Mori 1/2 system map 104-023.

Guess what? After 5 months I'm riding with a map actually installed in my PCIII (damn, I feel sick/pissed/embarrassed and happy at the same time). I trusted whoever 'preloaded' my PCIII when I feel now either nothing was loaded or the zero map was.

NOW - freakin surge is nearly undectable, throttle smoothness down low during tight turns is controllable, and smoothness climbing into the redline is awesome. I also now see where people where saying the smoothness replaces the rocket type FI surging and where some feel they kinda miss it.
I can now retrieve the map info from the PCIII and verify cell info is for map 104-023.

I feel like an idiot, should have checked the 'map' just to get used to the software etc, and not blindly trust what should have been done.

Moral of the story - verify your new PCIII's map if they come preloaded, don't take it for granted and wait 5 months.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dan Kyle

I know everyone considers him the next thing to God around here but my PCIII purchase was not the most talkative/informative experience. It went like this;

'Hey Dan, the PCIII, do you have a proven map for Devil exhaust systems that'll work with my 929?'

'NO, WHY DON'T YOU CALL THEM, THEY'RE THE ONE'S WHO MADE IT.'

'OK? So Dan, you have a satisfaction guarantee on your PCIIIs right?'

<pause> 'What do you mean?'

'Well, I read on the Fireblade forum that if purchased through you and not happy with results, you would refund the purchase.'

<pause> <pause> half hearted - 'yea'

'OK, thanks alot.'

Like I've posted before, he may have been having one of those days like we've all had (bogged down with work, deadlines, wife - I don't know). Anyway, not the most helpful/cheerful during that call.

I called back, and Alex took my sale and stated they would have my PCIII preloaded with the Mori 1/2 system (my choice of map from other's experience).

I have also purchased my Scott's damper through Dan Kyle's shop (before my PCIII) with great results (got in on a group buy).

Would I buy from Dan Kyle again? Probably. Based only on his reputation from this site.

Too much info? lol

·
Registered
728 Posts
SuperDave : I kept thinking, hmm, no - the surge still happens right at 3500RPM and bike stutters under lower RPMs in 2nd gear around tight turns.  I'm thinking, oh well, I'll get this thing custom mapped someday and it will smooth everything out.

Moral of the story - verify your new PCIII's map if they come preloaded, don't take it for granted and wait 5 months.
I took my new to me 954 for it's maiden jurney, and noticed that my bike has the 3,500rpm surge. It's as if the throttle is being turned on and then immediately off. I will check the map 110-002 (if it's loaded) on the PCIIIr this weekend. That would suck if the map was never loaded from the factory as the receipt claims. Does anybody else have experience with the best map for an Erion pipe slipon and stock air filter?

·
Registered
441 Posts
What I was wondering is: If you weren't happy with the result why didn't you call him or look at the map earlier. After asking Dan about a refund if you didn't like the results I figure you would have done something sooner. Anyway at least your getting your money's worth now.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I just checked the loaded map and it was in-fact the Erion slipon with stock air filter. I set the throttle at off and full and reloaded the map. I took it for a test ride and it was hunting just as bad as before. I then loaded the map for stock exhaust and stock filter and low and behold the hunting is gone. The scalp ripping power is also gone, but better to deal with a little less power, than that terrible surge. I might try a custom map later, but for now, stock it is. By the way, I think the stock map is still richer than without the powercommander.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
SuperDave : Dan Kyle
same here. Loaded the new map and the bike ran much better. Only I waited a bit longer to look at it.

In all fairness though, something COULD have zero'd the map I GUESS. But I sealed off the buttons on the PC3 when I installed it...

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OntheEdge : What I was wondering is: If you weren't happy with the result why didn't you call him or look at the map earlier. After asking Dan about a refund if you didn't like the results I figure you would have done something sooner. Anyway at least your getting your money's worth now.
Fair question.

I installed my 3/4 Devil exhaust system about the same time as the PCIII. Having had no prior experience with PCIIIs I just took for granted this is what it does. You know, this thing's awesome, it must be because it cost me $270.00

Spending money sometime's has a way making you think/wish something has improved. I noticed no difference in the initial 3500RPM surge, but again, figured different results/opinions of performance. I thought about returning it but looked at it as an investment incase of full system upgrade. As far as checking it earlier - laziness and why check it? it came preloaded right?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts