Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up a 1997 Blade with 48k miles that has had a pretty hard life, looks like it’s been used for commuting year round but it runs and rides great so hopefully no gearbox/engine problems. I will use this thread to document my progress and post as many Pics as I can, everyone loves pictures! I’m going to need direction from you all as this is by far my biggest project to date.

Pic from Last night

I have stripped all the fairings for now and uncovered all sorts of stupidity....
Pics to follow

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So all fairings off and nothing insurmountable yet.

This beauty was cable tied under the original undertray that looks like it was cut down with a lawn mower.
There is plenty of unnecessary c**p like an old alarm, 2 different battery charging leads hooked up to the battery and a fair bit of horrible wiring. I can’t wait to try and remove this lot! WHY?! Also a nice dent to deal with.

as you can see she is pretty rough with tons of corrosion but I thin most can be salvaged.

This is the only major damage to the bodywork that I am not sure is repairable so may be in to trying to source a replacement.

looking forward to next step, wheels off, swing arm out etc. Apparently bike has “just had a full service”

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Bit short on tank protection!!:)

Please tip us off as to who did the full service so us UK guys will know to avoid!:eek:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bit short on tank protection!!:)

Please tip us off as to who did the full service so us UK guys will know to avoid!:eek:
Judging how seized and rounded off some of the fairing bolts were I have my suspicions! The “new” oil filter is all rusted with paint flaking off :oops:

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
. . . An easier solution is to bin the lot and replace with Chinese bodywork.
Eek! I'd prefer to 'put it aside' rather than bin it - no matter what the condition.

I guess that's why I am becoming a candidate for the next series of 'Hoarders'. :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
If timescales aren’t an issue I’ve always bought my genuine parts from Partzilla in the US and imported them to the UK, always worked out far cheaper for me.
Huh?

How'd that heck that work out? Did you avoid customs and VAT or are we Brits just shafted by our dealers?

I've imported a Pit Bull stand, MV battery tender, and a shirt and been taken to the cleaners each time.:( The only thing left for me to import is the Erion can from Ian's Red Rocker:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. Prepared to pay through the nose for that though!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Right, back wheel is out, rear sub frame off chopped the chain, removed the radiator and exhaust. First stumbling block.... the swing arm needs a specific tool to remove the locking nut and then the 21mm Allen head. The socket for the castellated nut will take a week minimum to get here from David Silver :( I guess I could take it off with a screwdriver and hammer then add a replacement to the long list of bits I’m going to need

·
Registered
495 Posts
Huh?

How'd that heck that work out? Did you avoid customs and VAT or are we Brits just shafted by our dealers?

I've imported a Pit Bull stand, MV battery tender, and a shirt and been taken to the cleaners each time.:( The only thing left for me to import is the Erion can from Ian's Red Rocker:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. Prepared to pay through the nose for that though!!
I paid vat and import duties each and every time and I only am referring here to OE parts from Honda UK.... do your homework and don’t trust the dealer network for being cheap.

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,862 Posts
Right, back wheel is out, rear sub frame off chopped the chain, removed the radiator and exhaust. First stumbling block.... the swing arm needs a specific tool to remove the locking nut and then the 21mm Allen head. The socket for the castellated nut will take a week minimum to get here from David Silver :( I guess I could take it off with a screwdriver and hammer then add a replacement to the long list of bits I’m going to need
Use a drift or a large screwdriver to remove the lock ring. The swing arm pivot shaft is used to remove the threaded collar that articulates with the swing arm. The swing arm pivot shaft is a 14mm Allen, but the head of a 14mm bolt rigged up as a tool can help getting it out.

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,862 Posts
Oh man, I know I had just stuffed the 14mm in my 93’s pivot, but I didn’t check my 99, it must have changed. Anhyhow, glad you got it out! Keep up the good work!!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It’s Done! She is reduced to a pile of filthy neglected parts. I need to start a shopping list of replacement bits that can be on order while I go through the process of cleaning and painting what I can. I need to make a plan of what I want to do with the engine. The bike ran well before I stripped it so I don’t want to go mad with the engine but I need to decide what is worth doing, carbs cleaned and set up properly and get the engine to someone to check the valve clearances etc. Any other must do’s while I’m there?

1 - 20 of 119 Posts