Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

41 - 60 of 121 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
... there is a few good reviews of the Yss shock at around £280. Thoughts?
I had one installed in my VF1000R last year. For an 'ordinary' road rider I think they're fine and a good budget option. I do have Ohlins as OEM on some of my bikes and whilst they are good, I'm not sure that they're eight times better than the YSS for the price. (money sound about right - mine was £220 plus VAT.)

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,862 Posts
Another question for you ? my rear shock is 48k miles old and either needs a full rebuild by brooks ( £400 odd with paint as well as internals) or a replacement shock. This project is really starting to add up so not up for spending Ohlins money.... there is a few good reviews of the Yss shock at around £280. Thoughts?
Nothing wrong with rebuilding the OEM shock, will be worlds better than it was from the factory, especially with a new spring. That being said, nothing wrong with the aftermarket YSS, Elka, Wibers, Hagon, etc. It then just becomes a matter of budget (cost).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I had one installed in my VF1000R last year. For an 'ordinary' road rider I think they're fine and a good budget option. I do have Ohlins as OEM on some of my bikes and whilst they are good, I'm not sure that they're eight times better than the YSS for the price. (money sound about right - mine was £220 plus VAT.)
I’m no seasoned track rider, just love a blast on a Sunday morning. I can get my fairing resprayed for the difference in price between the Ohlins and YSS. If they do the job it’s a no brainier for me (y)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Nothing wrong with rebuilding the OEM shock, will be worlds better than it was from the factory, especially with a new spring. That being said, nothing wrong with the aftermarket YSS, Elka, Wibers, Hagon, etc. It then just becomes a matter of budget (cost).
If the bike was mint and I didn’t have a shopping list as long as my arm I’d love an Ohlins but as I said above the YSS makes sense for this project ?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Have a look for some videos of rebuilding the stock showa. You could probably get away with changing the oil and re-gassing.
the spring and body are corroded and horrible after years of winter riding by the previous owners. Going for the YSS when funds allow 👍🏼

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Any suggestions of how to clean the TFR stains off the frame? Looks horrible, would be a shame to put it back together like this

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
. . . I'm out of touch so I've got to ask, are polished frames in style, out of style or like today's restrooms.
NOTE TO MEMBERS:
Be cautious when answering this question for risk of offending Super Moderator @IanDoohan . 😃
If he posts a pic of Red Rocker your mind will be made up.

My own opinion is that I wouldn't care about trends. Whilst a polished frame might be a lot of work, it really looks class and I think anyone, even those with a strict penchant for originality would appreciate. It wouldn't stop me from buying a bike, and might even add encouragement.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I like the polished look but my lack of trendiness has allowed me reduce the value of vehicles for forty years. Unless an upcoming sale is planned I follow the Burger King philosophy.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
NOTE TO MEMBERS:
Be cautious when answering this question for risk of offending Super Moderator @IanDoohan . 😃

My own opinion is that I wouldn't care about trends. Whilst a polished frame might be a lot of work, it really looks class and I think anyone, even those with a strict penchant for originality would appreciate. It wouldn't stop me from buying a bike, and might even add encouragement.
looks like it’s getting polished... I’ll have to do the swing arm also. I will document the process (y)

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,862 Posts
NOTE TO MEMBERS:

@nigelrb You Rang? :LOL: :cool:

41 - 60 of 121 Posts