Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

221 - 240 of 284 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #221
I love those wins where no one else bids or they never see the listing!!
I was convinced I would get outbid, I nearly paid £125 for a used replica! Let’s see if the guy sends it out, fingers crossed I’ll have no issues

·
Registered
454 Posts
hopefully there's no reserve or insanely high shipping charge. i've seen some with bids of $5 but shipping of $108

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #223
I won it for £20 and £12 shipping :) when I spoke to the Chinese fairing supplier they wanted £399 for the kit and £120 shipping and nothing was being sent out until further notice. At least this way I just need to find a good body shop.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #225
I sent pictures of my fork stanchions to Brook Suspension and the verdict was that they were beyond repair and needed to be replaced at around £160 each.... I took them to my dads today and mounted them in his lathe, I hit them with 800 grit, 1000, 1500 and 2000. What do you all think?

Before

after

They see good enough to me, there is some very minor pitting but all raised corrosion that could damage the new seals has gone and the finish seems good. Only time will tell, hopefully no leaks (y)

·
Registered
454 Posts
i'm shocked that someone who is in the business of selling you things told you that you would have to buy their things.

those look great. so long as the seals still remain in contact, there should be no issue

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #227
i'm shocked that someone who is in the business of selling you things told you that you would have to buy their things.

those look great. so long as the seals still remain in contact, there should be no issue
Yeah fingers crossed. Yes I take your point but I have just bought a new rear shock from them as well as fork springs and all seals etc, best part of £600 if I stanchions too that would have been more than I paid for the bike!

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,116 Posts
As long as there is no pitting or dents in the path of the seals you should be good to go. Your rehab looks good to me.

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
It is a shame that some companies seem to determine 'serviceable limits' as a means of securing income rather than offering a frank assessment of remaining life. I think the parts you've pictured will give you thousands of miles of trouble-free performance. Spend your dosh on something more rewarding!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #230
It is a shame that some companies seem to determine 'serviceable limits' as a means of securing income rather than offering a frank assessment of remaining life. I think the parts you've pictured will give you thousands of miles of trouble-free performance. Spend your dosh on something more rewarding!!
I completely agree.

I have just dropped my engine to a local mechanic who is going to check and adjust the valve clearances and give it a general once over. They are also going to fit the tires to the freshly painted wheels:)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #231
What a difference some paint makes

Managed to get one of the rear sets cleaned up, it’s not perfect but it is good enough
Before

After

Need to do the other rear set and the rear brake master cylinder looks rough so probably have to rebuild that too...

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
o_O
It’s Done! She is reduced to a pile of filthy neglected parts. I need to start a shopping list of replacement bits that can be on order while I go through the process of cleaning and painting what I can. I need to make a plan of what I want to do with the engine. The bike ran well before I stripped it so I don’t want to go mad with the engine but I need to decide what is worth doing, carbs cleaned and set up properly and get the engine to someone to check the valve clearances etc. Any other must do’s while I’m there?
Gosh, that looks like a lot of work. If it's any help I have a search on Ebay for Fireblade fairing parts, and whenever something new comes up,
I get an email flagging it up. It is surprising how often this occurs, like two or three every day, usually not the same colour as mine, but worth a try
maybe. The fairing could be repairable if you have the missing piece; we have a guy in Inverness who has repaired several fairings for me and painted them beautifully, such that you couldn't tell other than looking on the inside. Obviously a new/replacement section would be favourite though; depends on cost doesn't it. My '92 Blade is so original, I really don't want to alter it other than to fit braided hoses and other little improvements from a safety point of view. Good luck with your project, should be gorgeous when finished...hold that thought! D.
(y)o_O

·
Registered
454 Posts
that paint looks great. don't forget to put some 2k over them to protect from road debris. that rattle can stuff is really soft and comes off with any nick. brake fluid also strips it really quick.

·
Registered
497 Posts
great work so far..... much more satisfying doing it yourself....
I feel your pain on the costs, i dread to think how many bikes i could have bought for what i've spent on mine over the years but to me it's worth every penny....

I may have missed (apologies if i have) but what colour scheme are you going with?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #236
great work so far..... much more satisfying doing it yourself....
I feel your pain on the costs, i dread to think how many bikes i could have bought for what i've spent on mine over the years but to me it's worth every penny....

I may have missed (apologies if i have) but what colour scheme are you going with?
Thanks 😊 I was going to buy a set of Chinese fairings and was thinking black but I have just won a new front fairing to replace my damaged one, it’s in pretty good nick Just needs a respray so I may stay with the OEM Red and get the whole set re painted. I’m pretty sure it will be one of the below!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #239
As I now have a full set of intact fairings that cost next to nothing I have more budget for paint (y)

·
Registered
497 Posts
Thanks 😊 I was going to buy a set of Chinese fairings and was thinking black but I have just won a new front fairing to replace my damaged one, it’s in pretty good nick Just needs a respray so I may stay with the OEM Red and get the whole set re painted. I’m pretty sure it will be one of the below!
mine started out as the black version.....
Definitely not looking like it now lol

good to have a choice

221 - 240 of 284 Posts