Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

241 - 260 of 284 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #241
Busy day today, I had my forks completely rebuilt but I couldn’t finish them as I was missing one of the below. I’m pretty sure it was never fitted on one of the forks.

I decided that I could make one by welding two washers together and cutting a piece out. I raided my dads supplies and found these

A quick buzz later and 2 became 1 😂
Next I cut the slot wide enough and hey presto it seemed to do the trick

So forks all back together.
Next was to attack this

I have thrown the sprocket as it will be replaced, I fitted the new Cush drives, bearings and got it all back together

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #242
Part 2!

I’m using the discs that came on the bike as they are in good nick, it’s a shame to not replace with a fresh set but I have to draw the line somewhere....

I fitted the new head set bearings and slid the forks in

thats it for today, need to finish polishing the swing arm, get the bearings for the shock linkage then put it all together(y)

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
That is really super brilliant, Sam. As previously said, I am enthused about the polishing trick.

Would you think the small sets attached to power drills would be efficient enough for swing arm and rearsets? I do not have the space or facilities to set up a bench grinder with wheels. I'm not thinking frame at present, but will 'practice' on VTR components. Am trying to buy a s/h VTR swing arm so I can polish that and then do bearings etc and slip it into my bike. Will then polish the other and slip it on eBay to recoup costs.:D

Anyway, back to yours, very ingenious fork washer you made. Helps to have a good workshop of equipment too. I could fit a welder in my kitchen, but I'd be worried about sparks flying into my fruit bowl and coffee percolator!(y)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #244
That is really super brilliant, Sam. As previously said, I am enthused about the polishing trick.

Would you think the small sets attached to power drills would be efficient enough for swing arm and rearsets? I do not have the space or facilities to set up a bench grinder with wheels. I'm not thinking frame at present, but will 'practice' on VTR components. Am trying to buy a s/h VTR swing arm so I can polish that and then do bearings etc and slip it into my bike. Will then polish the other and slip it on eBay to recoup costs.:D

Anyway, back to yours, very ingenious fork washer you made. Helps to have a good workshop of equipment too. I could fit a welder in my kitchen, but I'd be worried about sparks flying into my fruit bowl and coffee percolator!(y)
I have tried drills before and i didn’t have much luck, I find that you need a good surface to start with as the polisher even with the coarse wheel can only do so much. I sand it up to 1000 grit and the polish from there. My polisher is not bolted down, it has a stand with a heavy base so you could keep one somewhere and only get it out to use it? I am very lucky to have the workshop that I have, it’s rare that I can’t get round a problem especially with the tig welder. Some sort of metal lathe is my next plan 😬

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,119 Posts
Those needle bearings are not cheap, and neither is 900RR resurrection, as you are feeling first hand 😂, but it’s an amazing feeling getting that first ride after.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #247
Those needle bearings are not cheap, and neither is 900RR resurrection, as you are feeling first hand 😂, but it’s an amazing feeling getting that first ride after.
That’s what I’m counting on! My £20 front fairing turned up today, it’s not pretty but it’s complete and seems to be OEM as advertised

it means I am in a position to find a good paint shop and get all the fairings dropped off. Only problem is I will have to decide what colour I want it all!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #252
Had a local mechanic fit my tyres to the rims (no damage!) and check my valve clearances, everything was within tolerance so I am picking the engine up tonight. Once the shock linkage bearings arrive I will fit the swing arm, new rear shock and wheels then put the engine back in. It might start to resemble a bike then!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #253
After putting my forks back together I have found that one of the compression adjustment screws will only screw about 2 turns as opposed to the other that will screw all the way into the preload adjuster before I strip it all down again and waste the fresh fork oil can anyone offer any advice?

·
8,119 Posts
How far you screw down the small nut that sites on the washer I believe determines the amount of compression adjustment you get. You can still make it properly I believe without draining.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #255
How far you screw down the small nut that sites on the washer I believe determines the amount of compression adjustment you get. You can still make it properly I believe without draining.
Thanks Ian, seemed to do the trick, with both nuts set equal the compression adjustment matches top side 👍🏼

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #257
Eventually we'll find something iandoohan doesn't know. Then we'll be in big trouble. 😂
I’ll be stuffed whan that happens! I would have paid someone to rebuild my forks if he hadn’t suggested I do it myself, his knowledge is greatly appreciated!

·
8,119 Posts
Thanks gents, I’ve been stumped before, I’ll be stumped again, but’s it’s my pleasure. And @nigelrb, a grind of mine in the states just bought a full Erion system for his 96 for $525. You’ll get that slip on you need matey, it WIlL happen 👍🏻

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
. . . And @nigelrb, a grind of mine in the states just bought a full Erion system for his 96 for $525. You’ll get that slip on you need matey, it WIlL happen 👍🏻
Yeah, I know. They come up on my 'saved search'. I have seen a few, though not all 929 compatible. I might have to become a tad more negotiable on quality. I know I expect too much for something nearly 20-years-old now, but just like a young woman, they are available and sooner or later fall out of the woodwork!:D

241 - 260 of 284 Posts