Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

261 - 280 of 284 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
I always thought autosol was too course for aluminium? I’ve been using Mothers ally polish, seems to be used a lot in the states
Not aware of that. I've used it extensively for nuts and bolt heads, peg hangars etc. I wouldn't be game to use it on chrome or stainless; I use Brasso and Mr Sheen as alternatives. I use Autosol more as a 'restorer' than a weekly polish type application.

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
A word of appreciation to @IanDoohan for post #69 re polishing methods.

I purchased a cheap VTR swing arm today which I should receive next week. Let the polishing begin. Will order all my paper in the meantime. (y)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #267
I have just been graced with the news that my contract at work has finished so I will be sat at home for the next week minimum until I can find something else. On the plus side I have a load of parts and a bike that needs some love sooooo watch this space, lots of updates to come. I have to rebuild the rear brake master cylinder that currently looks like this

I will try and get all 3 callipers rebuilt and powder coated so I will try and get some pictures of the aqua blasting if anyone is interested:unsure:

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
All new seals and cleaned it up, thinking I should strip it back down and paint it though :D
Noooo. Don't paint it. Looks great as is, as if it's meant to be that way. You could try a 'once over' with Autosol if you want a deeper shinier finish. I'd be proud to have that on my bike though - if that's any sort of reference point!! :D

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #277
Been away for a while.... with summer in full swing I bought an Aprilla RSV 1000 to ride me over till the blade was finished so she has taken a back seat while I’ve been playing with my new toy. I picked up another blade this morning but more on that later!
Anyway I have been working on the 98 today, I fitted the new throttle tube and connected up the new throttle cables and when it was off the bar it snapped back perfectly, once on the handle bar it sticks :unsure: New cables, new throttle tube and fresh carbs! Any suggestions? Cables aren’t bound as far as I can tell and it’s all new?!

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,118 Posts
Anyway I have been working on the 98 today, I fitted the new throttle tube and connected up the new throttle cables and when it was off the bar it snapped back perfectly, once on the handle bar it sticks :unsure: New cables, new throttle tube and fresh carbs! Any suggestions? Cables aren’t bound as far as I can tell and it’s all new?!
Is the grip now on the throttle tube? The grip can interfere with the throttle cable housing and make it stick. Other than that, post a pic of how you have them routed.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #279
Is the grip now on the throttle tube? The grip can interfere with the throttle cable housing and make it stick. Other than that, post a pic of how you have them routed.
Thanks Ian, yeah the grip is on the tube and when the setup is off the bike it works freely. When I got the bike the throttle was sticking the same way but I thought with new carbs, throttle tube and cables it would have sorted it....

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,118 Posts
How much free play (slack) is on the throttle? It needs about a 1/4” or 5-7mm of free play.

Also, make sure the bar is free of all the old junk and is clean, as well as the one inside of the tube. Are you sure the grip isn’t rubbing on the cable housing?

261 - 280 of 284 Posts