Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an article in the local paper in Northwest Indiana...

I have been followed through town three times cops are just all over bikers cause of some idiots.

Read the article below......

Reckless motorcycle mishaps on the rise

One day after speeding motorcyclist dies, another nearly dies doing a wheelie

BY KEN KOSKY
Times Staff Writer

ADVERTISEMENT

VALPARAISO - One day after 26-year-old Keith Wiles of Valparaiso died in what police describe as a high speed, alcohol-related motorcycle crash in Valparaiso, another motorcyclist nearly lost his life.

Police said Adam Lijewski, 19, was speeding and doing a wheelie -- a stunt that involves keeping the front wheel off the ground while riding -- when he lost control and crashed on Smoke Road, near Division Road, in rural Valparaiso.

Lijewski was unconscious after the Monday night crash with serious internal chest injuries, police said. The New Buffalo, Mich. teen was admitted into Porter Memorial Hospital and remained in fair condition Tuesday. Porter County police spokesman Ryan Jones said Lijewski was with a group of motorcyclists who were being videotaped doing stunts.

Area police departments say they are seeing an increase in serious motorcycle crashes this year -- most of which have involved intoxicated motorcyclists or unreasonable speeds.

The problem also has gained national attention with the recent motorcycle crash that may end the career of Chicago Bulls basketball player Jay Williams.

'You have to respect the motorcycle,' said Marc Falsetti of ABATE of Indiana (American Bikers Aimed Toward Education).

'It's unfortunate people are out there losing their lives (or nearly dying) in situations like that. It's certainly not anything we endorse.'

He said the biggest problems come when motorcyclists drink alcohol and ride. Speeding and doing wheelies are another problem -- one that often happens because the motorcyclist has been drinking.

And although Falsetti said, whether or not to wear a helmet is an 'adult choice,' he noted that ABATE educates people on the importance of wearing a helmet, eye protection, gloves and boots. Jason Chatwell, sales manager at Harley-Davidson of Valparaiso, called wearing a helmet the 'number one safety tip' he could offer.

And because inexperience is often a factor in crashes, Chatwell recommends customers who buy a motorcycle take ABATE's motorcycle safety course.

Falsetti said for $50 ($25 for ABATE members), motorcyclists get about 18 hours of education, learning the basics like getting on and off the motorcycle, balancing, changing gears, braking and turning. The class also moves on to more advanced topics like avoiding obstacles and doing maneuvers like braking and swerving.

In Northwest Indiana, the classes are offered at the Lake County Government Center, 2293 Main St. in Crown Point.

Porter County police spokesman Ryan Jones said this already has been a deadly year for motorcyclists and the warm weather is just arriving. In April, Mark A. Thomas, 51, of Chesterton, died in a motorcycle crash which involved alcohol and speeding, police said. Also in April, Joseph Shambo, 22, of Morgan Township, died in a motorcycle crash in which speed was a factor, police said.

'I think motorcyclists as a whole are defensive drivers,' Jones said.

But he said some need to be reminded to 'slow down and be a little more observant.'

For more information about ABATE's safety classes, visit www.abateofindiana.org or call (800) 23-ABATE.

·
Registered
469 Posts
If they keep this up it's only a matter of time. I was really hoping Jay William's accident involved some kind of custom billet Harley since he's in the NBA and they seem to favor those. But when I saw the news report and realized it was a sport bike I figured it's just another nail in the coffin.

·
Registered
576 Posts
At least the article steered people toward training, and indicated that most motorcyclists don't fit this image.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
sweetonion : If they keep this up it's only a matter of time.  I was really hoping Jay William's accident involved some kind of custom billet Harley since he's in the NBA and they seem to favor those.  But when I saw the news report and realized it was a sport bike I figured it's just another nail in the coffin.
It's only a matter of time anyway, regardless of what's written. Log on to a stunnas site and try and convince them that wheelies on the highway or running from the police is detrimental to the sport. They don't give a f*ck.

The public image of sportbiking is ruined. Most people look at us as pimply-faced teen-age punks. I'm not sure we can turn that around.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yeah, I remember last year when everyone thought sportbike riders were the pillars of society and mothers raised their children to be like us. Oh, wait, maybe it was the year before last... no, wait...

I hate to break the news to you all, but this is nothing new. I can remember seeing news articles about those crazy punk kids racing and doing stunts and hurting themselves on their racer replica motorcycles since before I started riding 13 years ago. This is the same stuff we've been hearing about for a looooong time.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
How long do you think, until they start to govern speed or power outputs on our sportsbikes, sports bike are becoming a fad thing to a lot of people, and a lot of people don't have the mechanical skills or brain power to properly handle a machine that has 150+ hp and weighs 170kg, and it only makes it worse when they start drinking!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Yeah........as someone said in another forum.....Soon our bikes of today will be sought after when all new street bikes have to weigh a certain amount have speed limiters and Hp limiters........Hold on to your 900/929/954 for about ten years and sell it for more than you paid for it!

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
KIDRR : Yeah........as someone said in another forum.....Soon our bikes of today will be sought after when all new street bikes have to weigh a certain amount have speed limiters and Hp limiters........Hold on to your 900/929/954 for about ten years and sell it for more than you paid for it!
Or learn electronics to be able to bypass the limiters and make a fortune $$$$

·
Registered
148 Posts
The GSXR-1000 has come with a speed limiter set at 186 mph since it came out in 2001.

It wasn't long at all before the techies found out it would only limit in 6th gear - and that the timing was retarded by the computer for the first three gears as squid protection. A quick check on the resistances across the GPS (gear position sensor) output for each gear and out to market comes a nice piece (basically a nicely wrapped resistor with plugs) that plugs in line with the computer and gives it the resistance for 5th gear, so bye-bye timing retardation and bye-bye top speed limiter.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Speeding and doing wheelies are another problem -- one that often happens because the motorcyclist has been drinking.

Are they trying to say that people only do wheelies when they are drinking?  One thing I know, is that of all the guys I ride with, NONE of us will get on our bikes when we even have one beer in us.  The funny thing is that I have some a Harley friends that go to the big ABATE ralleys and Poker Runs, and that is all they do is drink all day and ride.  I have even been told that they will meet together at 10:00 in the morning for some of these ralleys and start drinking, getting drunk.  I know this is alittle off topic, but Why is it that Harley Riders are held to such a high level, when they can be just as dumb, if not worse??

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
It's inevitable, the f*cktwats will ruin it for everyone else. I've lit them up over the years, online, and had to hear it. Oh well, I could see something they couldn't years ago. The minority always ruins it for the majority. IMHO, it's only a matter of time. Many countries already have HP limits in place. But as long as there is people like Dan Kyle, you shouldn't have to worry about bypassing new speed limiters, HP limiters etc. Wish we could say the same about insurance.

·
Registered
700 Posts
booth23 : Wish we could say the same about insurance.
You're exactly right, booth.  It is going to get to the point where the limiting factor in owning these bikes will be the insurance premiums.  Most insurance companies won't even touch a bike if it has 'CBR' in the model description... regardless of cc's.  When I went from my 600 to the 929, my insurance company at the time refused coverage because the CBR900 was on the black list (and I had a spotless record, no claims, etc.).

It's going to be a very expensive hobby in the coming years and a lot of it has to do with the   contingency.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
BizJetGuy : It's going to be a very expensive hobby in the coming years and a lot of it has to do with the   contingency.
Yes it will. Be sure to thank your local pack of
the next time you see them riding stand-ups down the highway.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts