Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
I know a few people who have them. Some have "tested them out" and are very happy, other have "tested them out" and found that they fell apart. I'm not sur eof the specifics of the various "tests" but I'm guessing it really depends on how hard you come off...

they do look pretty good, and appear well made though. I am going to buy a pair for my city commuting.

Z...

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Just wear a pair of shorts and a t-shirt if you really want to look cool. All the big squids are doing it.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Custom900 said:
Just wear a pair of shorts and a t-shirt if you really want to look cool. All the big squids are doing it.
I already have a killer pair of flip flops!

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
MrX954 said:
I certainly hope that comment isnt directed to me.
Are you being self-conscious again? Do you think that the world revolves around only you?

What's the old saying? "The guilty dog barks first."

Lighten up X. I have an odd sense of humor.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Custom900 said:
A few months ago I saw a guy pull up on his new Kwak, complete with the huge cardboard temporary license plate.

He had on a helmet, and nicely color-matched gloves and leather jacket.

......somehow he thought they looked cool with the shorts and low-top sneakers he had on. :rotfl::rotfl:

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
DUX said:
A few months ago I saw a guy pull up on his new Kwak, complete with the huge cardboard temporary license plate.

He had on a helmet, and nicely color-matched gloves and leather jacket.

......somehow he thought they looked cool with the shorts and low-top sneakers he had on. :rotfl::rotfl:
My wife thought I had lost my mind when I started laughing over the visual image in my mind.
I prefer the untied high-tops with the laces dancing around the chain and sprockets look.
Must be the same guy as above.

X, have you been out riding with Phobe again? Don't you know that those French Canuks are a bad influence?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Here's what they look like after a 30-40mph lowside, dude basically slid on his belly :

Right knee wore through the kevlar in two spots. Hand behind for pic, not actual knee, which was damaged in crash.

Key Scrape, right pocket.

Inner thigh above right knee.

Front left thigh, kevlar seat seen in rear unaffected by belly slide:

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
license2ill said:
Here's what they look like after a 30-40mph lowside, dude basically slid on his belly :

Right knee wore through the kevlar in two spots. Hand behind for pic, not actual knee, which was damaged in crash.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c52/license2ill/P6290005_001.jpg

Key Scrape, right pocket.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c52/license2ill/P6290007_001.jpg

Inner thigh above right knee.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c52/license2ill/P6290006_001.jpg

Front left thigh, kevlar seat seen in rear unaffected by belly slide:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c52/license2ill/P6290004_001.jpg
That definitely shows that denim will not hold up. The Kevlar under it all is what's protects.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Custom900 said:
That definitely shows that denim will not hold up. The Kevlar under it all is what's protects.
Considering how quickly and useless the Kevlar was, even as an extra layer, it screams gimmick. 100% Kevlar is about as good for protection as 100%cardboard in a motorcycling pant. The denim as the structral outer garment is a bad idea too, but the you might as well have lined them with Cordura nylon stretch Kevlar, and then we would be asking why not just get a pair of overpants so you can take the hot parts and armor off when you get to your destination.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
If that's all the protection I get I guess I'll just go back to wearing my shorts and flip-flops again. :smilebig:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Custom900 said:
If that's all the protection I get I guess I'll just go back to wearing my shorts and flip-flops again. :smilebig:
Neither is appropriate, you may be better off in some jeans under some minimal situations than with shorts, but I'd rather not be out of pocket for inferior solutions that keep something better off my back, regardless. The convenience of an overpant along with better solutions in terms of materials, structure, and armor, on the whole make the extra $50 bucks of Kevlar worth putting into a higher level of protective performance of something else. My thing is, why would you essentially want an overpant stiched into a structurally infoerior prduct, without being able to conveniently remove it? Why aren't there overpants using this less expensive knitted Kevlar that Draggin uses in the lining of these jeans? Makes zero sense at that point.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts