Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After about 5 oil changes my drain bolt seems to be rounding. Anyone else experience this? I always use a deep socket, is there a better tool? I'm going to order another one before it becomes completely stripped. Is there any really good aftermarket ones out there?

·
Registered
393 Posts
I would use a shallow 6 point socket. If you are using a deep 12 point, that could explain the rounding. A deep socket on a standard height bolt tends to shift a little unless you hold it perfectly straight. My neighbor is the Snap-On tool man. :thumb:

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
mine rounded totaly. i had to take it to the shop and have them cut it to a shape that they could use on it. it was so mangled. vice grips kept ripping it apart. wish i still had it, there was barely anything left.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Do you use a torque wrench when putting that bolt back on? I've got 48,000 miles with oil changes every 2k, and the bolt is just fine.

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
CBRBob said:
Odd how some people manage to do this and other go a lifetime with the same plug AND washer!
It's all in the technique! You just gotta have a feel of the bolt when wrenchin'...

·
Registered
522 Posts
Just remember.. let Force flow and guide you when you use that socket/wrench :rolleyes:

Seriously, I've done many oli changes and have never had to replace the drain bolt or washer....

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
It's a crush washer. It's job is the same as a crush washer in the brake system, or like a gasket. It's deformation under proper torque helps seal the surfaces so no leakage occurs. It also prevents overtorque of the the bolt threads and recepticle threads. In other words it prevents stripping, or worse yet, cracking the pan.

I don't reuse gaskets. I won't reuse crush washers either, especially since they are cheap! I don't remember what the service manual says, but I would guess single use only. Buy two now, so you'll have the extra when it's convenient! Oh, did I say they were cheap?!!! (I just bought two manifold gaskets for my car at $8 each. I think I paid 15 cents apiece for a handful of these crush washers last time, however by now the price could be up to 25 cents each!)

I have to agree that technique and proper tools are key. A short 6-point socket for this application is best. In 36 years of doing oil changes for my bikes (and cars) I've never had a bolt round off.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
NinerPilot said:
LP sales one that is magnitized to attract any particles that come by. I think it is pre-drilled for safety wire too.
Chris
I believe Conqsoft broke his off trying to get it off of his 929, but I could be wrong...

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I do use a torque wrench and change the crush washer every 2 or 3 oil changes. I reason I use a deep socket is for clearance purposes (my extension is too long) I always try to make sure it is flat against the head before turning. It may be the quality of the socket as it came in a set.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts