Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I need to replace my front,rear sprockets as well as my chain. I'm struggling to get the stock sizes for my 1998600f3. I have a 520 chain with a 42 rear sprocket not sure about my front:confused: I get about 275kph on top end but am willing to get 240 - 250 just as long as my pull is better, also i would like to do a 530 conversion but dont know if its worth it.

has anyone had experience with this?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hi I need to replace my front,rear sprockets as well as my chain. I'm struggling to get the stock sizes for my 1998600f3. I have a 520 chain with a 42 rear sprocket not sure about my front:confused: I get about 275kph on top end but am willing to get 240 - 250 just as long as my pull is better, also i would like to do a 530 conversion but dont know if its worth it.

has anyone had experience with this?
Twiggy,
do you realise that the 520 chain on your bike is not stock?
the cbr600 f3 came standard with a 525 chain, so yours has already been converted to a 520 chain.
why do you want to do a 530 conversion?
If i was you i would and i needed to replace the chain and sprocket i would just put it back to a 525 chain, after all thats what Honda intended to be on the bike...

for better pull increase the rear sprocket size, or loose a tooth off the front.
i stand to be corrected on this, but i believe the standard rear sprocket is a 43, so your bike has been sprocketed for more top end.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes, stock gearing is 43/15. I would not mess with dropping down to a 14 sprocket in the front. The reason being that 14 is pretty much the smallest sprocket you will find because the chain simply cannot turn any tighter without added stress, and short life span.

Theoretically, with a 170/60/17 tire (yes it fits without rubbing the chain) and a 15/46 gearing, your top end would be 260km/h at redline. But I doubt you could pull redline in top gear unless you did a drastic gear change, slowing your topend down anyways.

Like Ten c69 asked, how aften do you see that anyways? And as far as the actual speed goes, you probably arent reaching it an yways, since our speedos get expotentially farther off from correct the faster we go. Not to sound like a prun, but thats a very unsafe speed to be at, the slightest head shake, error or maybe a dumb driver/animal coming at you, you are going to heaven bro.
Ride safe, ride happy, live on.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I used to get 155Mph (248Kph) out of my CBR600FW with standard gearing, so you could probably expect about the same (clock speed not actual speed)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hiya All,

Bit confused about the terminology

Is the "20","25","30" refering to how thick the chain is?

Ie the thinner the chain - the less rolling mass, and the more accelaration power?

And the "5"! is refering to size of sprockets?

hope you can advise - couln't find it on the web!

Cheers
Martin

·
Registered
253 Posts
on this chart you can see that the 530 is over half a kilo heavyer than the 520

Specs

so not sure why twiggy wants the extra rotating mass? the other side of the argument is it will last longer

·
Registered
21 Posts
Possibly, but with as far as chain technology has gone since his bike was built, he would be better off with the 520 IMO. Plus they look better, seem to say "I am light, I am high performance".

Saving rotational mass will make the bike "feel" like it has more power, always a plus. 1/2 a kilo doesnt sound like much weight, but every little bit helps.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hya Chaps,

Is there some type of standard seriel numbers on the Chain? (Like with Tyres)

How do I decipher it? (I bought the bike second hand at 17.5K - not sure if its the original Chain!)

Hope you can advise!

Cheers
MArtin

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
If there are no tight spots and the chain is not stretched beyond what the adjusters can compensate for, then it doesn't matter. A chain will stretch to the point that the adjusters are not enough and the sprockets will be worn and they will need to be replaced. That is when a chain gets replaced; when one or both of those occur.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Martin,

sometimes the numbers are on the sides of the plates, failing that you will have to measure the width and compare the measurements to the two attachments i posted above

·
Registered
218 Posts
Martin,

sometimes the numbers are on the sides of the plates, failing that you will have to measure the width and compare the measurements to the two attachments i posted above

Hiya FBK,

Yes of course! Being a bit dippy there - I thought the Chain would stretch, but not the width - doh!

I think it may actually be easier to take a ruler to the Chain hopefully will see the diff between 6.3mm and 9.5mm!

Cheers
Martin

·
Registered
21 Posts
The easiest way to tell if it is the factory chain is to look the links over. A factory chain has no master link.

A replacement chain will either have a clip link or a stake link.

The stake link will look similar to the rest of the links, but the center posts will be hollow and coned out over the plate.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so 275kph... how often do you get up there?!?
I got an upgrade in teeth for the rear and am loving the extra pull...
If i'm on a long striaght and there is no wind then I easily reach 270 but after a while I reach 275. My speedo cable is on the front wheel, but I still doubt that that is true speed.

I have decided to go with the DID525 x-ring chain and 15/47 honda sprockets. I have ordered them from Honda on the 9th of Jan and am still waiting:mad: as soon as I have had a run I will post my speeds in each gear.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts