Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what's the trick, i've read in prior posts that people have done it without the oil seal driver, couldn't find the post again however. I tried driving it with the old oil seal but ended up bunging up the new dust seal and had to order a new set.

I went ahead and ordered the race tech oil seal driver from ronayers along with all new bushings but was wondering what other viable techniques are out there.

Looking at the pictures of the racetech tool after I ordered it, doesn't seem like it would work as well as the Honda seal driver, time will tell when I get it. I read a Harley article that showed how to use pvc pipe to drive it, may work but seems kind of dangerous and barbaric to me.

So how'd the ingenious ones do it without the tool ? :idunno:

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
pvc tool works just fine :thumb:
rockets25 said:
So what's the trick, i've read in prior posts that people have done it without the oil seal driver, couldn't find the post again however. I tried driving it with the old oil seal but ended up bunging up the new dust seal and had to order a new set.

I went ahead and ordered the race tech oil seal driver from ronayers along with all new bushings but was wondering what other viable techniques are out there.

Looking at the pictures of the racetech tool after I ordered it, doesn't seem like it would work as well as the Honda seal driver, time will tell when I get it. I read a Harley article that showed how to use pvc pipe to drive it, may work but seems kind of dangerous and barbaric to me.

So how'd the ingenious ones do it without the tool ? :idunno:

·
Registered
381 Posts
yep I used pvc tube(drainage tube) that is splitted, and cut from connection point, where the tube gets bigger. That way it presses from the outer edges of the seal.

I put tha halves over the leg, they fit and tightened them with ?(don't know the word, but it's the thing that keep radiator hoses in place).

I suggest that you first press the fork bushing in place with that, then install the seal, that way it gets less forces.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You'e talking about a hose clamp. Pretty ingenious I must say.

I was an aircraft mechanic but don't trust pvc for such tight s paces with such expensive components. Oh well, I'll have the tool if anyone wants to buy it when I get done. I'll probably do my nephews R6 as well over the winter since it has 43mm forks as well then it's on the market.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts