Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well first ride of the season and she went down. I was sitting at an intersection and as I went to pull out my rear tire grabbed a slick spot and decided it wanted to lead. All I remember is looking at the bike while laying on the road. Damage doesn't seem too bad she has a rashed stator cover, cracked mirror and my turn signal needs snapped back together. I suffered some rash on my knee but my jacket saved my elbow from a similar fate so riding pants are in the future. :thumb: I have a question though, for now if my stator cover isn't cracked, just rashed, can it be ridden until I can pick up a new one or no?

·
Registered
269 Posts
If it's just cosmetic damage and no leaks I can't see why you aren't able to ride it, glad to hear damage to yourself and the bike is minimal.

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
If your cover has no breakage, why are you worried about the stator? Test it with your multimeter for the spec output, but I suspect it'll be fine.

I had the exact same lowside about 4 years ago, was wearing the kevlar lined jeans and leather jacket. I'd recommend leather pants, or at least textile over jeans, cause the kevlar lined jeans didn't protect sh!t for me. I got a serious raspberry on the side of my knee.
Now I wear Icon full leather pants over long johns. I also have AStars pants for track days.
Glad your ok!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys. I was just kind of worried, call me a scrub I guess. I didn't know how much abuse they could take before calling it quits. Mine has a few gouges but there are no cracks or leaks and I started her today and she is charging fine so all looks good. I am looking at a pair of textile over jeans right now as they are more affordable for me but thanks for the warning on the Kevlar ones I was giving them thought.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Sorry to hear about the off, glad it was extreme-low speed though =) I wouldn't worry about the cover unless it leaks as everyone else said, laid my 954 down at 35 and rashed the cover up a while back, about 6k miles since then and it still does the job =)

Jon- thanks for the heads-up with the kevlar lined jeans =) At least now I know not to buy them as I was actually going to pick a couple pair up for this riding season..... better to learn from someone else's financial mistakes!! =P

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
When money was tight me and my friends would just JB weld cracks and holes that came from stator damages. We'd ride it like that for whole seasons or until we could afford to change the cover.

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
Those kevlar lined jeans are false security. IMO. The protection they offer is pretty darn minimal. I'd like to see one of those companies show us some honest testing. The only thing they do is help prevent the cotton from the jeans gets embedded in your skin as it's burning from the friction and mixing with road surface. So there is that...
But there's no abrasion protection like with leather or a good textile.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts