Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last December I dropped my 2002 RC51 for the first time in over 30,000 miles. It was below freezing that morning and I was pulling out onto a street from a business I had just visited and as I got out into the street, I gave it a little throttle to accelerate and I hit some black-ice. I wasn't doing more than 10 or so miles per hour. The rear wheel spun up immediately and the bike snapped around to the left. I closed the throttle and as the bike swung through 180 degrees, the back tire got some traction and the bike immediately stopped rotating and as it did, it slammed down onto the pavement on it's left side. I got body slammed. Fortunately I always ride with helmet, jacket and boots on and the helmet took a shot bad enough to write it off and the gear did it's job.

I broke the whole left side off my pelvis and broke a couple of ribs. I was operated on the next day and got 28 screws, 3 plates and 46 staples as souvenirs. I was on crutches for 3 months and a crutch or cane for an additional 6 weeks.

Fortunately I've suffered no lasting disabilities from the experience. I have had some flexibility issues, due to the prolonged inactivity, but time and execise has mostly resolved them. I started riding the bike in May and went back to running by June.

The bike wasn't hurt nearly as bad as I was and only cost about $1000 to put back in shape. A clutch lever, footpeg and bracket and a muffler. I was able to repair the fairing.

I've attached a shot of the damage on the bike and an X-ray and shot of my surgical scar. I look like I've been sawed in half and put back together. I should also add that I'm probably a little older than the average sportbike rider. I'm 71.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Damn! It's amazing how bad those low speed crashes can mess you up. Glad you're back in the saddle even if we are closing in on the end of the season.
I got slammed like that once on my GPz and out of all my get offs, I think that hurt the most, partly because it happens so fast. I've been lucky enough to be able to get up and walk away from all of them so far.
Slick leaf season is coming, keep the rubber side down!

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
well i guess i feel better about my own metal n screw implants of my wrist i just got after seeing yours!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts