Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as most of you know, there's a nifty little law in place that allows financial aid to be stripped from students that have a drug conviction. And they just announced that Indiana has the highest rate in the nation (woohoo!) But now there's this big stink over whether or not it's fair. There's an activist group that's getting ready to fight to have the law overturned. Read this article and you can see that this law is WORKING!!! The same people who've been caught with drugs and complain about it not being fair are the same ones that got off easy and had a conviction set aside for probation. And I can guarantee that if she really is concerned with her education, she will stay clean for the next two years. I personally know many people who have given up drugs when they go to college for the simple fact that they don't want to lose the opportunity to get an education. It's a detterent, and it works! But I think the most ironic part is how these people who can afford to buy illegal drugs but not able to afford to pay for college on their own...

·
Registered
637 Posts
...and the way it's being implemented it doesn't even resemble the zero-tolerance bullshit that other institutions are enthralled with.

" "I really don't think it's fair," said Mauldin, 19, whose record will be cleared if she stays out of trouble. Student drug offenders deserve punishment, she said, but denying someone a chance at university "has to do with the rest of our lives." ...
"I was really worried," she said. "The only thing I was thinking was, 'I'm not going to get to go to school next year.' " "

So, it's not news that these drugs are illegal. All of society really understands that. And this girl understood ahead of time that posession ALSO jeopardizes her education but her sense of selfish entitlement announces that the government is depriving her of her education? BS. She's going to school on taxpayer money and needs to really grasp what rules are. The system is giving her the exact education she needs.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hmmm. Ive been taking classes at that university for almost four years now and have met plenty of hardworking people that between supporting themselves and/or family while working towards a degree simply don't have time for recreational drug use and could really benefit from some financial aid. But do they qualify? No, they either make 'too much money' or do not satisfy some other 'prerequisite' (I'll stop there). She's right - it is unfair.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts