Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you might remember what happened when we tried to sell a Ducati 999 on EBay a while back.... Well, get ready for part II cuz we just got another in today.  

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
gawd i love the way that bike looks - whatcha asking for it?

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Funky.

I have no idea right now, Bubba. It'll probably be on tomorrow night though.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
bubba : gawd i love the way that bike looks - whatcha asking for it?
Step away from the crack pipe...the AMC Pacer of bikes.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
luvtolean : Quote (bubba @ Aug. 12 2003, 7:00pm)gawd i love the way that bike looks - whatcha asking for it?
Step away from the crack pipe...the AMC Pacer of bikes.
C'mon LTL.
Don't be so hard on the Pacer. It wasn't anywhere near as ugly as that Ducati Aztec.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you haven't seen one in person then you don't know what you are talking about. I have the monoposto 999 sitting in my garage right now. And tonight I'm going to ride it. During our group rides, it's the most popular bike to trade with. Everyone who has ridden it was mighty impressed. The only downside is reliability is not like a Honda.

Question - why does the bike in the picture have a parking light and my buddies bike dosen't. Eurospec?

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
The new Mille is too many notes....999 is awesome imho....

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Steve F : Question - why does the bike in the picture have a parking light and my buddies bike dosen't. Eurospec?

All of the ones that I have seen around here have those. Not sure what the deal is.

The bike will be on tonight at 9pm if ya wanna see more pics. I'll post the link later.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have seen one in person. No part of the bike is higher than my hip, which makes it seem a little like a pocketbike. Plus, the nose is much narrower than the pic seems to indicate, more like the beak on a lovebird. I guess that this shouldn't be surprising, considering that it's italian... Regardless, its beauty is lost on me, it never seems to get where it's trying to go aesthetically.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A quick little report for those of you who have not had a chance to ride a 999 yet.

I had the opportunity to ride this bike yesterday. One word: 'WOW'
The power isn't all that incredible, actually, I think in a straight line my 929 would eat it for breakfast. What is amazing is the handling of this bike. First, it feels SO TINY. I have never been on a bike that felt so small. The thing is almost telepathic when it comes to navigating it down the road...more so than the Blade....which is something I never thought I'd say.
I wouldn't pay MSRP for it. Wouldn't even consider it but, damn, if it were comparable to Honda prices (including their maint schedules ) I most definately would.

Cons: sidestand sucks (typical Ducati) and it has the MOST ABSOLUTE USELESS mirrors I have ever seen on a bike.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Steve F : The only downside is reliability is not like a Honda.

Question - why does the bike in the picture have a parking light and my buddies bike dosen't. Eurospec?
Thank Gawd! My 929 was starting to smoke on startup when I sold it.. yeeeesh. So far I've but 5500 miles on my Stretta mill in the last 2 months with no issues at all.

The euro bubble lamp is sometimes removed and sometimes a camera is tossed in there.

As far as how that thing looks.. I gotta admit it's WAY better in person but it's still not totally grown on me. HOWEVER, if I had to own a 999, this would be it:

Or the Hodgson FILA rep that had just been done that weekend.. man.. I wish I'd gotten a picture of that... :/

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
nhfirefighter13 : A quick little report for those of you who have not had a chance to ride a 999 yet.

I had the opportunity to ride this bike yesterday. One word: 'WOW'
The power isn't all that incredible, actually, I think in a straight line my 929 would eat it for breakfast. What is amazing is the handling of this bike. First, it feels SO TINY. I have never been on a bike that felt so small. The thing is almost telepathic when it comes to navigating it down the road...more so than the Blade....which is something I never thought I'd say.
I wouldn't pay MSRP for it. Wouldn't even consider it but, damn, if it were comparable to Honda prices (including their maint schedules   ) I most definately would.

Cons: sidestand sucks (typical Ducati) and it has the MOST ABSOLUTE USELESS mirrors I have ever seen on a bike.
how did it compare to the milleR ride?

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Steve F : If you haven't seen one in person then you don't know what you are talking about. I have the monoposto 999 sitting in my garage right now. And tonight I'm going to ride it. During our group rides, it's the most popular bike to trade with. Everyone who has ridden it was mighty impressed. The only downside is reliability is not like a Honda.

I've seen plenty of them in person.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
nhfirefighter13 : I had the opportunity to ride this bike yesterday. One word: 'WOW'
The power isn't all that incredible, actually, I think in a straight line my 929 would eat it for breakfast. What is amazing is the handling of this bike. First, it feels SO TINY.
I'm not so sure the 929 would smoke it. Maybe but not sure. Remember they are geared VERY tall. The onther thing is they are sneaky-fast. Roll on the throttle and because the torque curve is so flat you don't get the sensatio of top-speed hit.

On the CBR I knew I was near redling because of the way the motor pulled. On this thing I'v bounced off the rev limiter more times than I can count because it just pulls the same at 3k and 10k. Next thing you know your are dong 140 MPH, have 2 gears to go and you are thinking about the place you left your lawyer's phone number.

One of these day's I'd like to toss the can on a 999. How is the aution going?

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
bubba : how did it compare to the milleR ride?
I wouldn't know...you never let me ride yours.

Holeshot,
Very true about the difference in acceleration. It just seemed that I can get the 929 from 0-100mph a bit quicker than I could with the 999....of course that may be due to the 999 not being mine and me maybe being a bit more gentle with it than my bike.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts