Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup ya'll I just threw a set of Dunlop Sportmax Q3 on my 07 CBR1000RR suppose to be a 50/50 tyre. :eyebrows:
The normal profile on the rear of my Honda is a 190/50/17 and front a 120/70/17, but my rear hugger was high enough to clear a 190/55/17 so that's what I did! :evilaugh:
....I had a set of the Michelin pilot power on before and these Dunnys are smashen em for feel, response and grip, from the moment I rode out the shop the angle of lean was increased with less effort, changed the bikes feel and comfort in a dramatic way for the better, it dips into corners so much faster and with little effort, and im an amateur with cornering, but they gave me a sense of confidence that brought out the Rossi in me!
Every body asked for advice on tyres and all they seem to ask is what will hold them on the floor at full lean and make them feel like the glued to the road! These tyres will give you this, as for longevity, don't expect em to last at all, but that's a price you pay for trying to race ya bike on the road. Tyre stamina and grip are on the opposite end of the scale, now u can find a happy medium suited for your specific needs, but if you want a tyre that will hold you to the ground, give you excellent response and feel and grip like a Velcro glove to a tennis ball these Dunlop Sportsmax Q3s are for you!
I also should mention they cost me $470aus fitted and balanced from DA motorcycles. :plus1:

I posted coz I asked the question and I never get a good answer out of anyone! Hope this helps some first time buyers like I was!
:smilierr:

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
Hey man! I've been running Q2's for years now and I feel same way! I'm on my last set of Q2's atm, but I'm not surprised to hear you say that about Q3's.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah the really good, feels like rails im really happy with them, I almost got the Bridgys coz of the cool Moto GP logo but the guy there said if it was him he would buy the Dunnys, and they were cheaper buy a cupple of bucks so took a shot! Paid off :plus1:

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Mind you the 190/55 V. the 190/50 is going to help turn-in heaps. I am running the Pilot Power 3's currently and am in love with them. I am likely going to try a different set sometime, but likely it'll be after one more PP3 rear so that the front gets worn out too =P I like to switch brands/tyres as a pair as switching just the rear out would possibly be unfair to the brand if the front isn't up to snuff =P

Keep us up on how many miles you get out of the Q3's as they aren't reported to get great mileage. So far I've done at least 1,000 miles on my PP3's with lots of wear left to go. I suspect I will get at least another 1,000-1,500 miles out of them, though much of this mileage has been more gentle than usual with the winter time arriving shortly after I put them on.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mind you the 190/55 V. the 190/50 is going to help turn-in heaps. I am running the Pilot Power 3's currently and am in love with them. I am likely going to try a different set sometime, but likely it'll be after one more PP3 rear so that the front gets worn out too =P I like to switch brands/tyres as a pair as switching just the rear out would possibly be unfair to the brand if the front isn't up to snuff =P

Keep us up on how many miles you get out of the Q3's as they aren't reported to get great mileage. So far I've done at least 1,000 miles on my PP3's with lots of wear left to go. I suspect I will get at least another 1,000-1,500 miles out of them, though much of this mileage has been more gentle than usual with the winter time arriving shortly after I put them on.
Yea I will, im smashing mine out tho its summer in AUS and coz there in a way teaching me things about my bike I didn't no!
Its a very odd experience but I can feel them in a way taking care of me atm while I experiment with cornering speeds and lines, they seem to absorb the bumps threw the corner as well and my old tyres never did and I use to "panic"
But as for the 190 55 0ver the 50 id recommend this because I found it hard to push myself to lean into a unfamiliar turn, were is now I feel they roll me in easier forcing me to tackle the corner, but at the same time they feel unbelievably safe and secure like I can increase the angle and speed with no issues! I also give credit to my Honda coz I mean without the suspension technology and balance a tyre will only do so much! great combo they make together :plus1:

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
How hot do those Q3's get? Like when you're riding hard, stop and feel the tire? That's a good time to check hot air pressure too. I like about 29-31psi rear and 32-33psi front for the street. Hot. These are pressures I've tried and work best for me and my bike.
For Track Days, you can go as low as 26-28psi on the rear, and 29-31 front - HOT. Then the Q's really grip.

·
Registered
64 Posts
guess im going to b the first negative one on the q3s, i got a set for my 929 this past october and dnt like them sofar. i had mich pp2 on before and loved them, heard lots of gd things bout the q3s so i thought i wd give them a shot. im nt sure if these tires should b used in temps above 70 deg or sumthing but in the cool weather they suck.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
guess im going to b the first negative one on the q3s, i got a set for my 929 this past october and dnt like them sofar. i had mich pp2 on before and loved them, heard lots of gd things bout the q3s so i thought i wd give them a shot. im nt sure if these tires should b used in temps above 70 deg or sumthing but in the cool weather they suck.
I haven't had cool weather yet ive had 40+ degrees Celsius were I am in Adelaide so haven't yet been able to see, but that's interesting there suppose to be an easily warmed tyre

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Really does come to own preference doesn't it lol I had Mich and I hated em they felt like the had over heated, hardened and glazed! Was to much slip, and to much rebound for me.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I've also heard great things about the Q3......especially from guys who previously ran the Q2. I personally run Michelin PP3 and they work excellent for my 100% street use. Stick like glue even when they're not very hot yet, and they are also great in the rain for when the weather turns sour, mid ride.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts