Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I go for the popular -1 at the front and +1 at the rear gearing modification, will this have any sort of negative effect on the life of a new 520 (one of the strong DID ones) chain, in other words...will the gearing change put more strain on the chain?

Also, for anyone who's done this sort of mod...how many revs is the bike pulling at about 70MPH in 6th gear...?

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Chain stretch is a measure of the quality of the chain, chain maintenance, and proper chain tension. A high end chain made of qaulity alloys will last longer, regular cleaning and lubrication will prevent rust and grime from accumulating and maintining the correct amount of slack will go a long ways towards keeping your chain from wearing out.

I hate getting my bike back from a shop and finding 1/2" of slack when the 954 requires 1 9/16" to 2" of slack this wil wear a chain out very quickly.

·
Registered
737 Posts
If you get the DID ERV chain, or the RK GB520GXW chain, you can sleep easy tonight!

I have over 153 at the wheel on my 945RR (and over 76lb ft of torque), running -1/+2 gearing. My RK GB520GXW is as strong as the hills and can handle this power with no issues at all.

Also, use the Honda Pro Lube in the red can. You can get it from your Honda dealer. It's a dry Teflon lube that doesn't fling. It is used by the Honda race teams too. If you can't find it, 3M also make a dry teflon spray lube for chains.

With this gearing mod, you will want to correct your speedometer. Get a SpeedoHealer from SpeedoHealer - Electronic Speedometer and Odometer calibrator for motorcycles. It's an awesome and most valuable piece of equipment to have on a sportbike.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you get the DID ERV chain, or the RK GB520GXW chain, you can sleep easy tonight!

I have over 153 at the wheel on my 945RR (and over 76lb ft of torque), running -1/+2 gearing. My RK GB520GXW is as strong as the hills and can handle this power with no issues at all.

Also, use the Honda Pro Lube in the red can. You can get it from your Honda dealer. It's a dry Teflon lube that doesn't fling. It is used by the Honda race teams too. If you can't find it, 3M also make a dry teflon spray lube for chains.

With this gearing mod, you will want to correct your speedometer. Get a SpeedoHealer from SpeedoHealer - Electronic Speedometer and Odometer calibrator for motorcycles. It's an awesome and most valuable piece of equipment to have on a sportbike.
Thanks for the info, the SpeedoHealer will definately be needed!

But just wondering, how many revs does the bike pull with the -1/+2 mod at around 70MPH in 6th?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts