Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
I bought the TDK internal Indi DVD 8x 840G multiformat (DVD-r/+R,-RW/+RW) and the thing rocks. I use Pinnacle Studio to edit and render and Nero to burn. Hot set up...

·
Registered
306 Posts

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
I was looking at a Plextor, since I know their CD Writers have always been good. I'm with him, what do you guys suggest? The DVD Burners/CD burner combos are like $125 for damn good ones now....

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
DVD burner: Dell has (or had a day or two ago) a perfectly good 8X for ~$45 shipped

Software - DVD ripping: DVDShrink - free

Software - DVD burning (...this thing comes with a kitchen sink and is a great buy at its retail $100): Nero 6 Ultra - ~$10

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
RRWANTR said:
Any suggestions for a decent reasonably priced dvd burner and ripping software for creating backups of my dvds (1yr old and 3 yr old play havock on everything). I have nero for burning them....
For burning the kids?

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
2OHOH2 said:
DVD burner: Dell has (or had a day or two ago) a perfectly good 8X for ~$45 shipped

Software - DVD ripping: DVDShrink - free

Software - DVD burning (...this thing comes with a kitchen sink and is a great buy at its retail $100): Nero 6 Ultra - ~$10
Do you have experience with this for backing up DVD movies from your home library? I want to make backups that the kids can use so they don't wreck the original (which has happened with a 2 & 4 yr old :whine: )

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
RRWANTR said:
Do you have experience with this for backing up DVD movies from your home library? I want to make backups that the kids can use so they don't wreck the original (which has happened with a 2 & 4 yr old :whine: )
Yes. The latest version of DVDShrink integrates seamlessly with Nero, so it's basically a four click process: one to start Shrink, one to select the source drive, one to select the destination, and one to start the rip. The software handles everything else, including ejecting the original and waiting for a blank, then ejecting the fresh copy.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
definitely LG as bang for buck (altho my LG CDRW+DVD Reader crapped out on me after a scant year).

Make sure you get both +RW and -RW DVD burner. Dual layer burners are out as well, altho there hasn't been a mass of blanks to be had (that I'm aware of, but I don't keep track).

Have fun, and once you have a DVD burner (I have a USB 2.0 liteon at work), it's hard to imagine going back to 700mb a disk.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I just put together a new computer and put a NEC 2510 (Dual Layer) from Newegg. Seems to work pretty well; but I've only had it for a few weeks. I need to pick some new software (ie Nero) as the stuff I'm currently using doesn't work the best.

Note: It looks like the 3500 (16x) is only about $14 more than what I paid for the 2510 (8x).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts