Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I want to know if anyone has used or is using Dyna beads, they are small ceramic balls that go inside your tire to balance the tire instead of using outside rim weights, you can look it up on youtube, Im trying to change my tires soon and I want to do them right. thanks :patriot:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I use them and I swear they work. Don't ask - I'm an engineer and the more I think about it the more confused I get. The company says "think of it like laundry on the spin cycle. it finds the balance" which is bull because my machine practically falls over sometimes from the imbalance on the spin cycle. Motorcycle tires cup, it's fact of life. I got 10,000 miles out of a set of Avon Storms on my FJR and no problems. These Dyna Beads are ceramic beads that are PERFECT spheres. So perfect that when you rub them in your fingers it feels like liquid silicone. They're about a third of a millimeter in circumference and you get 1 ounce for the front and 2 for the rear. I re-use them and put them in before I inflate. It's much easier than pouring them in through the valve stems.
Like I said, they work and I don't want to know how. It's just nice not needing to go through the balancing process and have weights on my wheels. Plus you get continuous balancing throughout the life of tires.
You may want to try them, you may not. I was skeptical and went for it. Now I won't go back.
One side note - Avons don't have any marking for a light or heavy spot so I just threw the tires on and went. Dunlops want you to position the yellow dot at the valve stem (they figure this is the heavy spot on the wheel - not always true), the yellow dot is supposed to be the light spot of the tire. I did what they said and no problems.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I had tried these on one of my bikes .. I didnt really notice them working or not really as my rim still had the balanced weight on it .. Also some places that sell them also urge gettin your tires filled with nitrogen rather then compressed air for lack of moisture but i just ran them with regular air seemed alil too much to fill with nitro for street use .

·
Registered
39 Posts
Any chance of the beads wearing the inside of the tyre?
Very, very slightly. Put it this way - in 10k miles there was only the slightest amount of 'grooving' and some extremely fine rubber dust in there. What that told me was that they do move around inside the tire instead of just smashing up to the wall and sitting still. Actually, that was the evidence to me that they do some work in there.

Some manufacturers say that if you use liquid or solid balancing devices for the inside of the tire, it voids the warranty. Dunlop is one of those manufacturers. Like I said - make up your own mind about them

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had tried these on one of my bikes .. I didnt really notice them working or not really as my rim still had the balanced weight on it .. Also some places that sell them also urge gettin your tires filled with nitrogen rather then compressed air for lack of moisture but i just ran them with regular air seemed alil too much to fill with nitro for street use .

I will say this about nitrogen - the air you're breathing right now is about 80% nitrogen already. As for moisture - the compressing of the air in the compressor squeezes out most of it naturally. And also - what about the air that's already in the tire before filling.

Formula One uses 100% percent nitrogen in their tires and they get that by forcing the existing air out as they pump in the nitrogen. The reason they use it, primarily, is that tire pressures barely change with nitrogen as the tire heats up and cools down - therefore, they're able to keep those precious calculations as consistent as possible. With regular air, you have to sort of fill them less to compensate for the higher pressures they'll face as they come up to temp.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I will say this about nitrogen - the air you're breathing right now is about 80% nitrogen already. As for moisture - the compressing of the air in the compressor squeezes out most of it naturally. And also - what about the air that's already in the tire before filling.

Formula One uses 100% percent nitrogen in their tires and they get that by forcing the existing air out as they pump in the nitrogen. The reason they use it, primarily, is that tire pressures barely change with nitrogen as the tire heats up and cools down - therefore, they're able to keep those precious calculations as consistent as possible. With regular air, you have to sort of fill them less to compensate for the higher pressures they'll face as they come up to temp.
nitrogen is also a larger particle than normal compressed air so it doesnt leak as much over time.

as for the beads how fast does the tire actually have to spin in order for the beads to move to where they are supposed to be. at slow speeds i can see them just sitting in the bottom of the tire. not that youll notice any imbalance there just my engineering mind workin.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Good point on the particle size aspect - forgot that one.

As for the speed to effectiveness aspect, I have no idea. But, even at slow speeds, the wheel is rotating fast enough to carry them into position (or positions, as I believe they're constantly moving around with the centrifugal dynamics of a disc in rotation)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good point on the particle size aspect - forgot that one.

As for the speed to effectiveness aspect, I have no idea. But, even at slow speeds, the wheel is rotating fast enough to carry them into position (or positions, as I believe they're constantly moving around with the centrifugal dynamics of a disc in rotation)
Cool, thanks for the input, I will give them a try when the next time I change tires, Im going to try them without the weights, :patriot:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.