Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a brand new 07 cbr1000rr over the summer. This is my first sport bike and my first winter with it. I would like to make the bikes down time productive by adding some performance mods. ( I live in Ohio the weather sucks this time of year). Im planning on putting on a hyper-flo slip on exhaust. I recently read about the "flapper mod" and plan on doing that over the winter. Does any one have any easy modification suggestions like the "flapper mod"? Any info will be greatly apprieciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
None of those "easy mods" are worth your time. I tried them all. The only thing I got from making those mods is finding out I have lots of time to waste.
Buy some dyno time first, then after throwing away lots of money on a $1,300 exhaust, $200 custom mapping, yad yada yada and finding out you only gained 12HP and 4lbs of torque...you'll feel my pain.
If you're serious about going fast.
The best money I've spent is on track days and a riding school.
But, since you're in Ohio, you'll probably be tuning it for stunting or drag racing. Based on the placebo effect, if you put stickers of your riding club on your bike, preferably a club name misspelled ending in a "Z", I think it's good for a 10-15HP gain.;)

·
Registered
21,175 Posts
None of those "easy mods" are worth your time. I tried them all. The only thing I got from making those mods is finding out I have lots of time to waste.
Buy some dyno time first, then after throwing away lots of money on a $1,300 exhaust, $200 custom mapping, yad yada yada and finding out you only gained 12HP and 4lbs of torque...you'll feel my pain.
But, since you're in Ohio, you'll probably be tuning it for stunting or drag racing. Based on the placebo effect, if you put stickers of your riding club on your bike, preferably a club name misspelled ending in a "Z", I think it's good for a 10-15HP gain.;)
:plus1: brilliant

·
Registered
219 Posts
I would say take your time and learn how to ride first. the 1000's have plenty of power too much for the street. But if you want to go ahead the possibilities are endless power commander, pipe, pair valve removal, GEAR, braided brake lines, removing the flapper in your airbox, dyno time, ect. Like I said its endless, it just depends on how much money you want to spend and what direction you want to go in.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I already have plans to attend the track days / riding school at mid-ohio race track in the spring. I just have the bike sitting in the garage and figured I would add to it since I have the time. I don't understand the part about being from Ohio means Im a wanna be stunter or drag racer. I like to ride thats all. If was gonna be a stunter I would be on a 600 that im willing to beat the crap outta. If I wanted to drag race I woulda purchased a zx-14 or a busa. I have a 1000rr cuz I can ride it for hours non-stop and not be in pain. I also like the power it has but like most people I always want a little more. The sticker thing only works on civics with carbon fiber hoods.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would say take your time and learn how to ride first. the 1000's have plenty of power too much for the street. But if you want to go ahead the possibilities are endless power commander, pipe, pair valve removal, GEAR, braided brake lines, removing the flapper in your airbox, dyno time, ect. Like I said its endless, it just depends on how much money you want to spend and what direction you want to go in.
I've been riding for 5 years now I traded in my 2000 suzuki intruder 1400 for the cbr because I got bored with it. I know I still have lots to learn about riding but i'm still trying to have as much fun as I can with it. I was just lookin for easy things I haven't heard of that I can do myself such as the flapper mod. Before I dump the money into PC, exhaust, speedo healer ect. But thanks for the info. I love the thought of having more power than I will ever use. Like a shirt I recently saw said "whats the point of 6 gears, when I can break the speed limit in 1st.

·
Registered
21,175 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh lighten up a bit thats the reason the guys are including emoticons so you can see their kidding.
But as you say its sitting there in the garage so you want to play with it, this will fulfil your dreams of having more power than you need ;) :smilebig:

http://www.fireblades.org/forums/general-discussion/80788-xmas-pressy-for-your-blade.html

:thumb:
That would be awesome but I don't have room in the budget for a supercharger or the hospital bill that would follow. I can't believe it but thats something even I say is too much power. lol

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Something I always recommend is lowered gearing.
A one-tooth smaller front sprocket is cheap and easy, and easy to swap back if you decide you don't like it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Something I always recommend is lowered gearing.
A one-tooth smaller front sprocket is cheap and easy, and easy to swap back if you decide you don't like it.
Does a sprocket change throw the speedo off? What are the pros + cons of a smaller front sprocket? Sorry to seem clueless but when it comes to gearing I pretty much am clueless.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Does a sprocket change throw the speedo off? What are the pros + cons of a smaller front sprocket? Sorry to seem clueless but when it comes to gearing I pretty much am clueless.
Yes, it alters your speedo.
You get up into the power sooner.
You burn more fuel.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
DingDongGo, What do you mean cut the can down? The exhaust?
Shorten the muffler.
Can't see any reason for it though myself.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
So you dno't drag it doing wheelies!
Never seen a muffler that was long enough to drag, the tail usually hits first.
Which bikes have that problem?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts