Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was going to buy a chain splitter on eBay for £15 but feedback wasn't great they said it wasn't that powerful, so went to demon_tweeks and found a Sealey chain tool bit more expensive but at least I recognise the name Also looked at a Bergen Any ideas re a good quality chain tool? Thanks

·
Registered
176 Posts
Have you considered simply replacing a link with a master? You could grind out a link then drill/grind out the pins and replace that link with a master and never have this trouble again. Don't have to worry about getting a crap tool that way or swedging the pin when you put it back.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Have you considered simply replacing a link with a master? You could grind out a link then drill/grind out the pins and replace that link with a master and never have this trouble again. Don't have to worry about getting a crap tool that way or swedging the pin when you put it back.
By master link do you mean one of the links with a clip on it? I had used these on my FZR400 and twice the clip came off despite being fitted correctly. I would never trust them on a big bike!

Hope the Sealey one has done the job though :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Did you have the clip facing the wrong way? I've never experienced a clip coming off. Dirt bike, at, 900 lb cruiser, 1400 cc sport bike, you name it. I know a guy who test rides for Harley in AZ, they always use them.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
You can use the ebay one but grind the link pins down first.
:plus1:

The cheap tools swage the hollow ended rivets perfectly, but don't be tempted to press out the old link without grinding off the rivet head; the cheap tools most always bend or fall apart if you attempt this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts