Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to local "stealer" to have my rotors floated to avoid any extra friction between pads and rotor. Got a phone call today from them telling me that for some reason they could not float the rotors (aluminum rivets) and they have already damaged one. They offered to replace it or give me an excellent deal on a set of EBC rotors ($225.00 plus tax). So I'm wondering who if anyone has had EBC rotors and how did they work?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Jake said:
Went to local "stealer" to have my rotors floated to avoid any extra friction between pads and rotor. Got a phone call today from them telling me that for some reason they could not float the rotors (aluminum rivets) and they have already damaged one. They offered to replace it or give me an excellent deal on a set of EBC rotors ($225.00 plus tax). So I'm wondering who if anyone has had EBC rotors and how did they work?
I bought a set of EBC about three years ago as a replacement for stock on my Kawi and when they showed up one of the rotors had only half of the holes drilled in it. I shipped them back and got Galfers. I think though that the EBCs only cost about 250 for a pair and stock replacements were 330 each.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Depends on the model. They make poser rotors and serious rotors. Have them pay in full for a set of full floating Brembo ductile iron rotors or threaten to sue them for incompetency.

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
Jake said:
What is having rotors "floated"? Never heard of that...

·
Registered
548 Posts
Red Rider said:
What is having rotors "floated"? Never heard of that...
That is when you remove the spring washers that hold the rotor tight against the carriers so that it is free to move side to side. Hence the name fully floating.

·
Registered
99 Posts
CBRjack said:
That is when you remove the spring washers that hold the rotor tight against the carriers so that it is free to move side to side. Hence the name fully floating.
Couple of thoughts:

FUll floating stock rotors is not a good idea--they are designed to be semi-floaters (the spring washers allow a certain amount of give) and removing this washer will defintely cause premature wear of the buttons and the carrier. There would be no perceptible advantage with a stock break set-up.

Even the the EBC Pro-Lite race rotors (supposedly only available trackside) are not true "full floaters," and they don't really need to be--they are good rotors in their own right. EBC offers different buttons for "full floating," but again, they don't claim any real adavantage over semi-floaters.

A better way to reduce friction loss is to have a clean brake system--and if you're serious or racing, fresh pads; this allows for less distortion of the pistons as they don't have to slide out as much.

Just my .02

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Man, I don't know. You could practically balance my front wheel on the bike with Brembo full floaters. To me the main benefit is the fact the rotor stays cooler, so everything lasts longer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Jake said:
Jake, are your rotors for a 929 '01? I need the RH rotor if it is the one that was not damaged. Would you sell it to me?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts