Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one doorbell button on the front of the house. There isn't a button on the back, however. Upon inspection, the front button appears to be in working order and the wires are connected.

On the little, um, I'll call it a circuit board inside my doorbell unit, I've got three screws...

FRONT

TRANS

REAR

There are two sets of double wires coming into the unit. Each insulated pair of wires (one red; one white; X 2) are not currently connected.

After Googling for help, I come to you, my Fireblade bretheren. How the hell do I wire this thing? I'm about to snap and smash the thing into little bits. The various ways I've tried to wire the sumbitch have not born fruit.

:pissed2:

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
put up a button on the back door without hooking it up and tape a thumbtack to it. When you hear the bastard who shouldn't be in your backyard anyway yelling you have time to go get your baton to beat them with.

·
Registered
741 Posts
white on front, red on trans.... thats how mine is hooked up

you can use the white on either front or rear, front is usally 2 dings and rear is one so you can tell what door someone is at

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
If you have 2 pairs of wires, one is most likely from the button by the door, and the other one is to the doorbell transformer, which usually lives in the garage or attic.

If you have a voltmeter, set it for AC volts and test each pair of wires. One of them should have something like 12-20 volts on it. This is the power from the transformer.

Once you have that one figured out, set the meter for the ohms setting, and connect it to the other pair of wires. These should be leading to the button. Have someone press the button while you watch the meter, your reading should change drastically when the button is pressed.

Now that you know which wires go where, hooking the thing up gets easy. Connect one side of the button to the "FRONT" screw. Then, hook one of the transformer wires to the "TRANS" screw. The colors don't matter since it's AC, there is no polarity. You should now have two wires (one from each pair) still unconnected. Twist those together with a wire nut or electrical tape.

Test the doorbell. Should work just fine.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks fellas (especially the lurking 'priller pilot).

I'll get on this in the morning!

:cheers:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts