Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I made a clumsy mistake with my battery. I was reconnecting it after charging it when, as I was tightening up the positive terminal, the spanner touched the frame and caused a couple of sparks. The negative was already connected.
I thought I may have blown the main fuse but it all seemed fine.

I went for a long ride down a motorway and when I stopped at some lights, I could smell a strange smell. I checked it when I got home and couldn't find anything wrong.

Monday morning, the starter motor hardly turned. But after a few tries it got faster and it started ok. When I got to work I restarted it and it was fine. Come home time, it didn't want to start again.

I changed the battery for my old one and this morning it fired up fine on the button but when I let go it died again. After a couple of tries it stayed running.

The battery which I took off, which was almost new, was showing 13.5v and was very hot to touch.

I hope all I have done is to short circuit the battery and that I'll be ok with the older one for the time being.

I got out the voltage meter when I got home this evening. And, with the ignition off, it is showing 13.5v at the battery. Engine running it shows roughly the same. However when I revved it to around 5000rpm or more a couple of times it showed 16.5v.

Is this excessive? Am I looking at having to buy a new Regulator/rectifier?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Am I looking at having to buy a new Regulator/rectifier?

yes, you most likely fried the rectifier. exspensive lesson, always connect the positive first, then the negitive.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts