Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully someone on here can give me a little more help than I'm finding. I went out to ride today and turned they key on my bike and instantly noticed the fuel pump didn't cut on. Following that I realized my headlights weren't working either, low or high beam nor the symbol on the dash. Both front and rear turn signals work on the bike both sides but the signal icons on the dash don't flash. Tail light works along with brake light. Horn works too, the dash only had two colors on when they key is turned on, green for neutral and red for what im assuming is oil. Is my fuel pump bad or is it a short somewhere? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hello, here is what i would start with.

Pull battery and fully charge and check that it is good.

Check fuses,

check all grounds for corrosion.

Check connectors as well.

I always try to start with the basics and go from there.
If it was just the fuel pump i could see it being the tip over sensor or a bad pump but if you have other things not working to that makes me think a bad ground or bad battery. could also be a short some where or a bad ecu worst case. Good luck tracing it down.

·
Heeza Y Zasch
3,033 Posts
I agree with "k'dub"... but chances are the Fuel Pump Relay has expired.

I'd get ready to replace all 3 of them... or at least buy 3 and keep a spare in the "trunk".

easiest way to check is trade it out with the Headlight/HiBeam relay and test.

good luck and keep us posted.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry was in Md for the weekend! So it's not very likely that my fuel pumps bad? It's more likely to be an electrical issue? When it first happened I charged the battery to make sure that wasn't it and its ok. I guess now it's time to pull the plastics off and start checking, will all of these fuses be fairly accessible? Thanks for the help so far guys!! Appreciate it a lot!!

·
Registered
202 Posts
I agree too, Sounds like your relay is stuck, its mechanical on the inside, for giggles or if you get bored.... you can cut the top off of it with a dremel and free it by hand, then file the contacts for a better connection. I did this with a Toyota Circuit opening relay, works like a charm.

Reactions: jondog9

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I'm just confused now, after getting the rear seat cowl off I went ahead charged the battery again just to be sure. Came out about an hr later and turned the key and I heard the fuel pump click on, bike starts, everything works. I turn it off only to find I couldn't get it to start back up again. When testing these connectors I found some didn't have a charge at all, could these be ground wires? Also when I flick my headlight switch to high beam on and off I can feel a click in one of the relay boxes, any significance to this? Where can I find these relay switches to buy? And should I test my battery to make sure it's running on the right voltage? Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know if this means anything but I recently had my ignition switch, the whole assembly switched out by Motorcycle Factory Inc in Woodbridge Va. Before that I never had any problems, the day they finished I picked my bike up and rode it home with no issues. Could there be something that went wrong when they did this?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Battery voltage looks good, Try swapping relays around to see if the problem follows, the headlight relay is the same type as the fuel pump relay.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm going to make a video or take some pics cause I've come across extra wiring and an extra relay switch/: I've swapped around the 3relay switches leaving the extra alone for lack of knowledge on it. After swapping them around still no difference. I'm going to go over everything again, look for bad grounds and what not but I might have to take it somewhere. I hate having to do that bit I hate not riding more.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's a quick video. Going over the dash displays, turn signals, tail lights, brake lights. Relay switches and the extra one. If this vid sends correctly ill make a better more specific one. Thanks for all the help guys

Attachments

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
It looks like your kind of stabbing around in the dark.
Do a search for a workshop manual, there are a couple available online free for the download.
Without knowing any of the previous history of the bike, or what connectors your testing, or the health of your battery, it's damn near impossible to diagnose your problem over a forum. It could be as simple as an exhausted battery - yes I know you charged it, but that doesn't give us the necessary info - or something like knackered wiring or bad grounds. You need to start with basic tests, and eliminate potential problems one at a time.
Get yourself a workshop manual, you'll save hundreds of $$ over taking it to a shop.

EDIT: ha, we posted at the same time. Anyway, I don't care to download any video to my computer. Put it on youtube or Vimeo

·
Registered
833 Posts
Your problem is a short or broken wire connection in the right handlebar switch. Take it apart and check everything and see what you find.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had that idea but just couldn't see how, if it is the engine kill switch would that effect the custom fan switch and headlights? I put a video on here and one on Vimeo if interested. Thanks for the input!!

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
ill second the kill switch. pull it apart and look for broken or loose wires. kill switch really should be used in emergencies only. lot of people use the regularly to kill the engine every time but they werent intended for that. pretty easy to take apart and check it out tho.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So the kill switch not working would effect the dash lights, headlight, and fan switch? Let me know if anyone watches the video.

·
Registered
833 Posts
So the kill switch not working would effect the dash lights, headlight, and fan switch? Let me know if anyone watches the video.
The start button within the right switch affects the headlight. When starting the bike the headlight goes out when the start button is pressed so full battery power goes to starter. Killswitch will keep fuel pump from priming. Like 954kevin said don't use the killswitch to turn off the bike. Use the key switch. Not sure why the fan switch is not working.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I guess I have a new task for tomorrow!! Hope I can find and fix this problem, thanks for the advice!! Will definitely not be using the kill switch for turning the bike off anymore. Will keep everyone updated! lol thank god for this Forum

1 - 20 of 20 Posts