Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay - I have searched the threads and articles and come up empty. Maybe some of you can shed some light on this. Not sure if these are related, but ...

I have an '02 954. Recently the clock lost it's time. I reset it, only to have it lose the time immediately upon shutting the bike off.

Most of the time I keep the bike on a battery tender and noticed that it indicated "charging" at the time. I left it and came back a couple days later to discover that it still states "charging". It never seems to achieve the "float" point.

The bike starts just fine and does not seem to lack the ability to provide charging to the battery while on a ride. All lights work perfectly and the FI never flinches. I have taken the bike on a couple hour ride with no issues that might indicate a charging problem.

Is there a secondary battery that assists in keeping the time for the bike during short electrical interruptions? My BMW automobile has a 9-volt for such purposes.

Could this be due to a dead cell on the battery or some other issue with the battery that just has not gotten large enough to effect the ability of the bike to start and provide spark?

Anyone? :idunno:

Thanks...
AD

·
Registered
154 Posts
There is a fuse under the seat just for the clock...take a look it might be blown. I am by no means a pro at electrical, as I am up crapcreek without a paddle right now myself, but I have run across this fuse a few times and I have used it for a backup if one of my more important ones blows.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyone else have any bright ideas?

·
Registered
140 Posts
There is only one battery on the 954, the main one, and it runs everything including the clock. If you leave your bike on the battery tender for 2 days and it never reaches float or full charge something is wrong. First thing I would try is disconnecting the battery from the bike and try charging it directly from the battery tender. This will quickly separate a bike problem from a battery problem. If the battery charges to full there probably is a problem with the bike, if the battery does not charge fully the battery is probably the issue.

I am betting on a bad battery.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts