Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks in advance to all those who choose to respond!

I am adding 2 cig style power outlets to my beloved 2000 929 so that I can power my gps and charge whatever other gadget I need to take with me (like my cell, ipod, etc) one of these outlets will be up front the other under the passenger seat out of sight.

I will be wiring each its own fuse via an auto style fuse block also located under the seat.

I don't want either of these to have power when the bike is turned off - so 'switched' power is the key. I think I will be taping into the main rear brake light to power the fuse block. My theroy is that should be all I need to do to accomplish my goal.

BUT MY QUESTION IS: do I need to add a relay between the fusse block and the power source?????

Any ideas or suggestions?????? I take several long rides followed by on foot expolring and being able to count on my gps and cell would be a great comfort.

Thanks again...

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Thanks in advance to all those who choose to respond!

I am adding 2 cig style power outlets to my beloved 2000 929 so that I can power my gps and charge whatever other gadget I need to take with me (like my cell, ipod, etc) one of these outlets will be up front the other under the passenger seat out of sight.

I will be wiring each its own fuse via an auto style fuse block also located under the seat.

I don't want either of these to have power when the bike is turned off - so 'switched' power is the key. I think I will be taping into the main rear brake light to power the fuse block. My theroy is that should be all I need to do to accomplish my goal.

BUT MY QUESTION IS: do I need to add a relay between the fusse block and the power source?????

Any ideas or suggestions?????? I take several long rides followed by on foot expolring and being able to count on my gps and cell would be a great comfort.

Thanks again...

I used to use a cigarette lighter adaptor on the 929 to run a camera. I just cut it into the ignition switch wiring so it would be live whenever the ignition was on. I can't see any purpose to a relay in the circuit and the ignition circuit is already fused.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, camera, gps, Ipod, cellphone gloves seat.....
I dont think I have the skills / confidence to go messing the ignition. at least if I screw up tapping into the lights I can ride to help....lol

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Yep, camera, gps, Ipod, cellphone gloves seat.....
I dont think I have the skills / confidence to go messing the ignition. at least if I screw up tapping into the lights I can ride to help....lol

Thw wiring diagrams are on this forum if you don't already have them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One more question: Anybody see a problem connecting a 12v power outlet to the running light that was dicontinued when I switched over to LED turn signals???

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HELP!!! I have a 2000 929 and I am not sure if I screwed up or not?!?....so frustrating! Ok so I wanted to add a 12V cigarette style power adaptor to my bike for GPS / Radar detector/ phone etc…I wanted it to operate off of switched power I wired old one off directly off the battery with a toggle switch and some ARSEHOLE fiddled with that “cool, little switch” (I wonder what that’s for??), while I was away and drained my battery. So this time I thought I would tap the wire to the low beam headlight, which I did – simple enough. I used the 3M no solder pinch connections since I didn’t have the room or skill to solder in such a tight space then I electrical taped them shut, and waterproofed them with marine grade paste-on electrical tape IT WORKS!!!!
BUT…… now I have a red light glowing on my dash???? I think it’s the MEL/ MAL indicator used to warn of bad things and decoded by the blinking pattern…. Mine now just comes on and stays on: no blinking.
Have I harmed my bike? Can I make it turn off/ operate normally with my current set up? Should I just consider this a non-issue and just wait for the bulb to burns out???

Thanks in advance ….

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
I wouldn't ignore the MIL. Does it go off when the bike is started? If not:

There's a connector under the seat that's no plugged into anything (probably on the left side of the battery). Put a paperclip in there to complete the circuit, and when you power on the bike the MIL will flash with a code.

One short flash=1
One long flash = 10
eg. 2 long flashes and 5 short flashes = 25.

Tell us what the number is.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts