Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
Just decided to get the blade out after the cold weather we have been having and got something of a shock
The Rev counter and digital dash and clock aren't working!
the lights at the bottom work, indicator,neutral light, and high beam light but nothing else.
I have checked connections, fuses and for any mouse activity but can't find anything amiss.
Has anyone had a similar issue and if so what was the solution?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Hi all
Just decided to get the blade out after the cold weather we have been having and got something of a shock
The Rev counter and digital dash and clock aren't working!
the lights at the bottom work, indicator,neutral light, and high beam light but nothing else.
I have checked connections, fuses and for any mouse activity but can't find anything amiss.
Has anyone had a similar issue and if so what was the solution?

Cheers
Does it run okay?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah yes good point , one that i forgot! .
Yep bike starts and runs as normal it even warms up then drops the revs to normal idle speed.

·
Registered
900 Posts
i had that it was a fuse, double check to be on the safe side, the only other option is the batt is low, when its low it shuts down the items that you have not working at moment

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
battery was low to start but then trickle charged it back to full. bike started as normal . i dont suppose you remember which fuse it was i checked the obvious one, think it said clock

·
Registered
900 Posts
As you look at it from left hand side, fuse box under seat 1st one nearest you , from what i remember

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi iam having the exact same problem. Bike starts and runs perfectly but the rev counter and lcd
displays don't work, warning lights and backlights are fine. The battery is fully charged, I noticed a
strange bleep noise from around the clock when I started the bike. I have checked the
Fuses, all ok. Removed the clock and checked the multi plug connections seem ok but next
I was going to check the feeds to the plug.
Wondered if you managed to sort the problem with yours yet

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Colinr06 Didn't have a chance to do more checks yesterday, i am going to ring the local dealer today and see what they have to say .

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As of yet still no progress , seeing if i can find another set to try out.
Other than that it is a more in depth wiring check but all looks good and i can't believe that the wiring would just pack up seeing as there would be no reason for that as the bike is stored in a garage.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Took advice from mechanic and took the right hand side black cover off (between tank and fairing) and took apart and cleaned the connecting blocks with contact cleaner, i then put them together again and now all is ok.
Apparently moisture can get in there and also sometimes the pins corrode.
Anyway speedo and rev counter working normally so job done!
So i hope this is the case with yours Colinr06

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Took advice from mechanic and took the right hand side black cover off (between tank and fairing) and took apart and cleaned the connecting blocks with contact cleaner, i then put them together again and now all is ok.
Apparently moisture can get in there and also sometimes the pins corrode.
Anyway speedo and rev counter working normally so job done!
So i hope this is the case with yours Colinr06
Common problem on SRAD GSXR's with the connector between the main harness and sub harness.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Nice one, glad you got a result, will have to keep that one in my memory banks, incase it comes up again.:thumb:

·
Registered
16 Posts
great news fraggo, glad youre sorted.I have also found by a mechanic who used to work on hondas in our area that dampness is a common fault. I wil try at the connection you found, hope it works.Will let you know

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi fraggo5 and anyone else that may find this useful. Firstly I hope your bike is still ok. I tried removing the bits of fairings to access the harnesses, stripped & lubed every plug I could find, didnt seem to make any difference, went right back towards the ecu and was wondering whether to take it off or not. What I did do was leave my display indoors for a couple of days & left it on a radiator for half a day or so (thought I had melted it it was that hot, blame my wife for turning the heating up). Anyway had one last check of the wiring & put the display back on, guess what. The bloody thing is now working. I agree with the initial diagnosis of dampness & blame having a tumble drier in the garage.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nice weekend so decided to dust the blade off.

Got it out of the dry garage, disconnected the optimate first of course.
fired it up after a quick look over, runs fine then noticed dash display not working:eek:

Had a strip down expecting mice attack, all fine, did fuses connections etc all looking fine. Looking for inspiration tried on-line and found this thread.
Fired up with the solution headed back to the stripped down bike.

Did all the connections checking as I went, still no joy.
Tried swapping fuses over, disconnecting blocks etc still no joy.:crying:

As it's all apart looks like an indepth wiring check needed.
The bikes not been used much since it's service, all all in the dry so mildly confused as to how it would just stop working.

Any more suggestions would be welcome.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Nice weekend so decided to dust the blade off.

Got it out of the dry garage, disconnected the optimate first of course.
fired it up after a quick look over, runs fine then noticed dash display not working:eek:

Had a strip down expecting mice attack, all fine, did fuses connections etc all looking fine. Looking for inspiration tried on-line and found this thread.
Fired up with the solution headed back to the stripped down bike.

Did all the connections checking as I went, still no joy.
Tried swapping fuses over, disconnecting blocks etc still no joy.:crying:

As it's all apart looks like an indepth wiring check needed.
The bikes not been used much since it's service, all all in the dry so mildly confused as to how it would just stop working.

Any more suggestions would be welcome.

You have checked that there is 13V across the battery terminals?
Does anything at all happen when you turn the key on?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts