Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know that honda's have a huge amount of engine braking when downshifting heavily before entering corners. just wanna know whether there is a way to offset the engine braking (besides dumping lotsa cash for a slipper clutch)
eg: fix a TRE like it is done on most suzuki bikes... :huh:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,773 Posts
well the only way you're really gonna get that same feeling is to get a slipper clutch. I've never been to the track but I think for track days you really have to think about if its worth the cost or not. I personally don't think its worth the price unless you know of a cheap one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,804 Posts
I thought the Timing Retarder Eliminator (TRE) was an aftermarket piece? I know it is for SV's. I'm curious as to how that would reduce wheel hop on a downshift..

Basically, you rev the snot out of the bike as you **gently and smoothly** release the clutch. If you feel the engagement of the clutch interfering with your rear wheel traction, you rev again and feather the clutch release. If ya dump it (clutch), you could dump it (bike), if you get my drift.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CBRVFR said:
I thought the Timing Retarder Eliminator (TRE) was an aftermarket piece? I know it is for SV's. I'm curious as to how that would reduce wheel hop on a downshift..

Basically, you rev the snot out of the bike as you **gently and smoothly** release the clutch. If you feel the engagement of the clutch interfering with your rear wheel traction, you rev again and feather the clutch release. If ya dump it (clutch), you could dump it (bike), if you get my drift.

yupz the TRE are only meant for gixxers as an aftermarket product. it basically tricks the ECU that every gear is in 6th/5th gear, so when u downshift- the engine braking always feels like in 5th gear (very minimal engine brake)

well its kinda hard to adjust so well to the "smooth and gentle" technique when entering corners at great speed... can never get it 100% smooth and accurate at every downshift. that is why i am wondering whether are there any gadgets such as a TRE for honda bikes... :idunno:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
moron900 said:
yupz the TRE are only meant for gixxers as an aftermarket product. it basically tricks the ECU that every gear is in 6th/5th gear, so when u downshift- the engine braking always feels like in 5th gear (very minimal engine brake)

well its kinda hard to adjust so well to the "smooth and gentle" technique when entering corners at great speed... can never get it 100% smooth and accurate at every downshift. that is why i am wondering whether are there any gadgets such as a TRE for honda bikes... :idunno:
The TRE's are made for lots of FI Suzuki bikes, I had one on my TL1000R. I however did not notice any decrease in engine braking though. Actually, the only thing I noticed with it was the removal of the speed limiter and less backfiring/popping sounds when downshifting.

Some people find the TRE does something, some not. Very individual results, even on the same model bike.

As for the Honda's, I've only had my 929rr for a little while and I find the engine braking far less then the R1, ZX9R, and GSXR1000 I almost bought. And when I had my CBR600F4 it was almost non-existant. :idunno:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mctonyb said:
The TRE's are made for lots of FI Suzuki bikes, I had one on my TL1000R. I however did not notice any decrease in engine braking though. Actually, the only thing I noticed with it was the removal of the speed limiter and less backfiring/popping sounds when downshifting.

Some people find the TRE does something, some not. Very individual results, even on the same model bike.

As for the Honda's, I've only had my 929rr for a little while and I find the engine braking far less then the R1, ZX9R, and GSXR1000 I almost bought. And when I had my CBR600F4 it was almost non-existant. :idunno:
well if u are referring to the engine braking on a TL1000R, for sure there is less engine braking cos from what friends told me, v-twins have less engine braking than inline-4 engines. but it really does cut down lotsa engine braking power on a GSXR1000 K3 (tried it before and after the TRE was installed)
i aint that sure about other bikes, but for the honda's i feel the engine braking only when u really ride it hard... 2nd/3rd gears in corners... :down:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,390 Posts
Twins most definately have more engine braking.

You can smooth your downshifts with the clutch. Feather it in. Kinda like a manual slipper...only nobody can do it as well as a machine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
HondaGalToo said:
Huh. I've found that I have a LOT more engine braking on my twin (Ducati), than any in-line four that I've owned. :idunno:

well i might be wrong too... aint an expert on this either, maybe different for each bike model.. :huh:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
luvtolean said:
You can smooth your downshifts with the clutch. Feather it in. Kinda like a manual slipper...only nobody can do it as well as a machine.
u hit it on the nail man...! :sniper: nothing works better than a machine/gadget. thats why i;m tryin to ask around whether there is a cheaper altenative which works like a slipper clutch... if yes then i'll be sticking back to honda.. if not then i'll be changing to suzi's in future... :nopity:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
i turn up my idling up till 1500 or 1700rpm from the usual 1200rpm..

didn't really stop rear wheel lock but at least it feels much smoother from throttle full open to close.. it takes out the sudden engine brake when u chop of the throttle..

but dun try anything above 1700rpm cause the bike will still move forward even when your throttle is close..

usually in those long speed bend u got to control the throttle on off which make your bike juky from the sudden engine brake..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
381 Posts
yep with TL I always upped the idle for the track, sometimes for the street too. It makes off/on throttle during corners way smoother. And gives less engine brake, I have heard lot of racers use high idle. It's just smoother...Coming back to the throttle is smooth.

JT
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
moron900 said:
well i might be wrong too... aint an expert on this either, maybe different for each bike model.. :huh:
Definately wrong. Like the other guys have said, the v(l)-twins have quite a bit more engine braking than an i-4. I've done the idle adjustment as well for hard riding and it does null the effect of engine braking a bit.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top