Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

So I recently bought a dirt cheap 05' model fireblade with over 90,000kms from an auction which needs some fixing up. The first thing I noticed when I started it up is that the engine has some sort of knock to it, but it's not audible. You grab the handle bars or put your hand on the tank/frame you can feel a slight knock but you can't actually hear any noises associated with it, and it also becomes slightly less noticeable when the bike is warmed up. I work at a bike shop and the head tech reckons it could be that the pistons/cylinders are worn out, but of course I won't know until I take it apart and inspect, which won't happen for another week or two. Until then does anyone have any ideas on what it might be or come across a similar issue? Or if the bike has any quirks or certain characteristics or issues for that certain model that I should know about? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Give it a full overhaul. "Pistons/cylinders are worn out" wouldn't limit the wear you're going to find in that engine. Internal bearings, gears, chains, all require inspection/replacement, especially after doing all the work to extract the engine from the frame to split the cases apart.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The engine knock is a symptom that indicates that something is wrong with the combustion chamber. If you hear knocking while driving down the road, then you should take your car to the mechanic immediately. Knocking is caused by carbon deposits building up inside the combustion chamber. These deposits cause the piston rings to stick together, preventing them from moving freely. When the piston rings get stuck, they create friction between the cylinder wall and the piston ring, causing the engine to make noise.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts