Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi... So for the last 3 days I've started hearing some engine noise and it's getting louder. I've come to the conclusion that it's the timing chain due to the following: when in low revs and I open up on the throttle I get a bit of chain clattering noise...
My question is - generally when this happens on a Fireblade, does the chain need to be replaced or just the tensioner?
With my 600rr it was only the tensioner that needed replacement.

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
If it's suddenly started and is getting noticeably louder over 3 days, then it could be serious. Almost certainly not the chain, they are very reliable but could be the tensioner, but again, they don't usually suddenly let go. Maybe it's been building up for a while but you only just started noticing it? Listen to the engine through a long screwdriver or stethoscope if you have it, try to locate the source of the noise. As you know, the chain is on the right. The other usual suspect is piston slap, but that usually only happens in colder weather, and you're in the middle of summer, right? Does it go away when the engine is warm? If so, it's almost certainly piston slap, which is no big deal, just don't hammer it when it's cold.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it's suddenly started and is getting noticeably louder over 3 days, then it could be serious. Almost certainly not the chain, they are very reliable but could be the tensioner, but again, they don't usually suddenly let go. Maybe it's been building up for a while but you only just started noticing it? Listen to the engine through a long screwdriver or stethoscope if you have it, try to locate the source of the noise. As you know, the chain is on the right. The other usual suspect is piston slap, but that usually only happens in colder weather, and you're in the middle of summer, right? Does it go away when the engine is warm? If so, it's almost certainly piston slap, which is no big deal, just don't hammer it when it's cold.
I'm also guessing it's been coming on a while but I never noticed... I'll definitely do the sound check to allocate the noise. It's summer down here, yes. I always allow the bike to heat up before I ride.
Thanks for the help and info. I'll keep you posted 👍

1 - 3 of 3 Posts