Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well just one week after I get her back from her 2nd scheduled service (6,000km) I'm riding home from uni and she starts making a noise from the engine, like a loose spinning noise. Out of nowhere just cruising, noise is louder after I let of the accelerator, no noise at idle and a slight noise as I accelerate.
Pull clutch in noise goes away let clutch out comes back.
Checked chain and sprockets, but sounds "in the engine"
Went to the local service centre on the way home, to make sure I can get home!. Non-Honda dealer but nice guys, service manager went round the block and said he dosen't have the faintest Idea what it might be.
Only 14 months old still under warranty, only 6000km.
Going back to the dealer tomorrow who serviced it last week (Honda dealer)
Any thoughts of what it might be?
Not happy, as not a single tick before the service, they came reccomended by another member but I'm afraid they may have screwed the pooch on my service.
Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Any thoughts to what it might be?

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
I don't know the symptoms of the broken clutch basket, but there was a recall for 929's cause of weak clutch baskets, may be you a faulty one. :idunno:

Not sure what TGM could have done wrong as the 6000 klm service is basically change the oil and filter and check over the bike.

Let us know how you get on

·
Registered
463 Posts
I had a similar problem on my '02 F4i. I assumed it was a clutch problem, since the clutch started slipping in gear and lost all grab. If I rode it hard in one gear and let the engine rev itself down, any higher then 6k or so I would get a funny spinning metal noise, like a slinky, it was a funny noise. I traded it in for my 929, so, doesn't bother me anymore, but it would be nice to know what it actually was, just out of curiousity.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
If it's stock, my guess is either the Cam chain tensioner (they go alot on the later Honda's) or the HVIX valve. Don't know why it goes with the clutch etc, but they are what we have found mostly with noises from Blades. Is it really bad around 4-5rpm?

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
I had 2 cam chain tensioners replaced on my 929, both times the noise first appeared on cruise at approx 5200 rpm and after a while the range went to 5000 - 5400 rpm, but it was only there on a cruise type situation , never on deceleration.
It allways appeared as a rattle

:idunno:

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys I passed on your ideas to the mechanic and he also thinks that it's the cam chain.
So that's a load of my shoulders and Mr Honda will pick up the bill.
Told him about the clutch basket thing but he had never heard of the recall and he's fairly confident that it's the cam, especially cause it's only 6,000K old.
Thanks for your input fellas :thumb:
And hopefully it will be ready to rock friday night for a test ride :smilebig:

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Hopefully that's all it is then :D
it worries me though, that he has never heard of the clutch recall :huh:

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Was this all 929's in Australia?
When was the recall, bike purchased new 11/02

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just got off the phone with the mechanic.
Says 99% sure it's a front rotator shaft bearing (?) Some bearing in the front sprocket.
This will mean a full pull out of the engine, over a week to complete.
Under warranty but pissed off as only 6,000km old. Mechanic said this was the youngest bike he had ever heard of this happening too!
Still didn't know about this Clutch basket recall, need info please
Anyone else had this bearing problem?

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
You can read about how to identify if the recall(s) have been performed here. You can look up the specific recall at the NHTSA site. There was also a recall on the fuel line, too, but I'm not sure if either of these recalls were U.S. specific. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
I'm sure both the recalls are for the aussie 929. although yours may have been delivered after the recalls were announced so they possibly may have been done before the sale.
I think my 929n had 2 little stickers under the rear cowl but on the subframe to indicate the recalls had been carried out.

Check with another dealer

·
Registered
40 Posts
I bought my '00 Blade used from a BMW dealer with 2500mi on it, back in 10/01. I took it to the local Honda dealer and had them run the VIN number, and it came back that the previous owner had BOTH the clutch basket recall AND the fuel line recall performed.

You should be able to have any Honda delear check it for you, and as I remember, it was ALL 929's/Fireblades world wide, not just U.S. spec ones.

Jon

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's stuffed
It is this bearing problem they thought. Some bearing in the gear box or ?
Anyway engines gotta be pulled out, at least a week to fix. Might be plenty more damage when they open her up!

FOR SALE

Still under warranty, this thing could have caused some serious damage for the future! Warranty will cover it but could you imagine the costs if it wasn't under warranty! No thanks
This thing is only 1 year old with 6,000 kms on the dial, I don't abuse it either, they call me riding Miss Daisy.
Maybe I got a lemon? Not the honda reliability I was looking for, love her but I think I will let her go.
Daytona or an Sp-2, looking for some character, cause I ain't got none
Hmmm prostitute myself I might be able to afford that RSV

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Allaluya!!!!
Picked her up this morning
Wasn't the bearing problem they thought. Went to remove engine and noticed loose engine bracket screw.
Tightened, noise gone coming from the right place near the bearing thing and hey presto shes back as good as ever
What a relief
Unfortunately due to University and travel plans I think I will have to sell her
Oh and my warranty book is "missing" in the work shop they'll have a look for it :mad:

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
so does that mean you'll be right for the ride day at the island ;)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Will said:
Allaluya!!!!
Picked her up this morning
Wasn't the bearing problem they thought. Went to remove engine and noticed loose engine bracket screw.
Tightened, noise gone coming from the right place near the bearing thing and hey presto shes back as good as ever
What a relief
Unfortunately due to University and travel plans I think I will have to sell her
Oh and my warranty book is "missing" in the work shop they'll have a look for it :mad:
Dude, pardon the casualness, but you HAVE to find another shop... They should have cuaght the screw before hand, they should not have diagnosed a bearing (?!?!?!), they should not have allowed the bike to leave making that noise, they should not have lost your manual, they should know about the recalls, etc... :idunno:

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah I agree after all that stress just a loose bolt causing all that noise.
Definately shold have found it straight away, not 3 days later
Oh and got the manual back now too
All just a bad memory now

1 - 20 of 22 Posts