Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been debating about an engine swap and if I should keep it carbureted due to in-tank pumps and not wanting to change my tank. I'm looking at either a 929, 954. Lately I've been hearing rumors about swaps involving a 1100 Blackbird engine, does anyone have any info?

·
Registered
554 Posts
a 29 or 54 swap would be a HUGE undertaking in your RR frame. They use rear engine mount as swingarm pivot mount and would be a helluva lot of work to do.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So this kinda of brings me to another question (I have a ton) Is it possible to do a cylinder head and cam swap, then bolt my carbs to them?

·
Registered
554 Posts
you mean swap your RR stuff onto a 929 or 954? It'd probably be cheaper to buy a used 1000RR

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
I've been debating about an engine swap and if I should keep it carbureted due to in-tank pumps and not wanting to change my tank. I'm looking at either a 929, 954. Lately I've been hearing rumors about swaps involving a 1100 Blackbird engine, does anyone have any info?
You don't have to use an immersed pump if you don't want to. Buy an aftermarket pump and mount it wherever you like.
The Blackbird is a fairly simple swap, especially compared to the 929/954 lump.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
So this kinda of brings me to another question (I have a ton) Is it possible to do a cylinder head and cam swap, then bolt my carbs to them?
If you can find an engine with the same bore spacing it's probably possible but wouldn't be cost-effective.
I don't really see what it is you're trying to achieve but I don't think you going to see huge increases in power from a head swap. You'd do far better porting your existing head and throwing in some aftermarket cams.
You can swap across the injection system from a 929/954 or anything else if you like.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But with an injection swap, what kind of sensor issues am I going to run into. I keep thinking it over, Cam sensors, Fuel pump mounting, will the throttle bodies match up, will ecm work with my gauges. I have the oppertunity to buy a used, functioning, salvage 929, what do I have to do?

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
But with an injection swap, what kind of sensor issues am I going to run into. I keep thinking it over, Cam sensors, Fuel pump mounting, will the throttle bodies match up, will ecm work with my gauges. I have the oppertunity to buy a used, functioning, salvage 929, what do I have to do?
If you're going to do an engine swap you _will_ have to modify stuff to make things fit.
You would ideally swap _all_ the electrics across and mount the required sensors onto the engine.
I'm sure you have the opportunity to buy any number of different used, functioning engines. Just a matter of deciding which one you want to try to fit.
Personally, I wouldn't bother trying to fit a 929/954 engine unless you already have one lying around.
If you have to buy an engine get a Bird engine. It's a big heavy lump but it's the simplest swap you'll find.
If you want something really special try putting a 1000RR engine in there.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I do like the idea of mounting a Fuel injection system on my bike, are there already holes to mount the sensors? Do I have to use a Walbro pump to feed the system, or is there another way?

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Well I do like the idea of mounting a Fuel injection system on my bike, are there already holes to mount the sensors? Do I have to use a Walbro pump to feed the system, or is there another way?
No, there won't be holes to mount the sensors. You'd have to make the mounting points either using an epoxy or by welding plates in.
I don't know what a Walbro pump is but there are heaps of aftermarket manufacturers or you could use one from a different bike or a car. It just needs to be able to provide the pressure required - around 50psi from memory.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
You must buy Tylenol in bulk:smilebig: All of that sounds like one big headache. I'd seriously consider the gains vs the pains.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Would it be easier to use injection system and cams out of the 929 donor engine
I doubt the cams are usable as the two engines have different bore spacing.
You could use the injection but I would think if you were going to go to the trouble it'd be better to use a more modern system.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
nah, IB Profein and vodka, helps with Scoliosis and screwed up knee caps:eyebrows:
So I guess its better jet my carbs out to stage 3, and put a set of cams in, maybe with a ignition advancer

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
nah, IB Profein and vodka, helps with Scoliosis and screwed up knee caps:eyebrows:
So I guess its better jet my carbs out to stage 3, and put a set of cams in, maybe with a ignition advancer
I was on 2400mg of Ibubrofen twice a day for years :)
I wouldn't bother with your carbs.
Get some flatslides.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
most I've been on was 1600mg. I thought the cbr 900rr came with flat slides
Most I was on was 2800mg for short periods. Normally 2400mg at 0700 and then again at 1300 so I was able to work. Eventually the nerves died and the pain wasn't so bad.
Nope, CV's unless yours have been replaced.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts