Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
I hope NH can wick it up some and get another 2nd or (doubtful) 1st row start - also hearing rumblings that haga-san is gone for next year... gotta see how nitro rides to show yahama he's still worthy.

edit: speeeeeling

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
mcwilliams in 8th impresses me, its all about the cornerspeed I see...

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
Haga=Aprillia.

I think someone kicked Kenny Jr. in the nuts. Maybe threats of his little brother coming to dance with him made him step up?
I don't know. First qualifying is really just an extension of practice for all these guys who are seeing these tracks for the first time.
I'd bet final qualifying sees Bayliss, Hayden and Edwards move up a bit. And Jacques and Jr. back down a bit.
We'll see. I just hope it is as exciting a race as the last one - regardless of who wins.
Man the break has been hard to wait through.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
ccwilli3 : mcwilliams in 8th impresses me, its all about the cornerspeed I see...
Which motor is it?

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
Baketech : Quote (ccwilli3 @ Sep. 05 2003, 10:34am)mcwilliams in 8th impresses me, its all about the cornerspeed I see...
Which motor is it?
You mean the 3 or the 5? I haven't been able to find out. I'm almost positive they have the 5 going.

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
And yeah, how many times have we seen different people high in the first q session that end up 2 seconds off the pace by the final session?  It's interesting, but take it with a grain of salt...

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
tigerblade : Quote (Baketech @ Sep. 05 2003, 10:35am)Quote (ccwilli3 @ Sep. 05 2003, 10:34am)mcwilliams in 8th impresses me, its all about the cornerspeed I see...
Which motor is it?
You mean the 3 or the 5?  I haven't been able to find out.  I'm almost positive they have the 5 going.
Last I heard the 5 was back in the shop....but that was a few weeks ago. That's why I am curious which motor they are running at Estoril.....

Bueller.....anyone?

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
Here we go:

Team Proton KR rider Jeremy McWilliams switched back to last year's two-stroke machine for this afternoon's first timed practice session, and proved the strength of the 500c two-stroke by putting it eighth, on the provisional second row of the grid, among the fastest of the 990cc MotoGP four-strokes.

McWilliams was using the same drilled fairing he used to claim pole position at Phillip Island last year - the holes a measure to alleviate the effect of crosswinds, which were a feature of today's practice. But the Ulsterman's two-stroke switch was only temporary, and both riders will be on the four-stroke tomorrow.

The move came after teething troubles with the latest version of the Proton KR V5 machine - all part of the development programme of the infant GP racer, which will line up for only its fifth race on Sunday. Inevitably, each step forward from first prototype to mature racer brings new problems to be solved.

The latest machine incorporates a range of improvements, including a significantly better new-generation engine braking control system as well as more horsepower. McWilliams tried these at the last round at Brno and the team tested them further in Ireland during the break, before preparing four machines to that specification for this race.

This morning, one of McWilliams's pair of engines gave trouble in the morning free session, and the team decided to withdraw the other bike for the afternoon, to make internal modifications to prevent the problem recurring. Tomorrow the team plans to return to the four-stroke in spite of the stronger qualifying performance of the two-stroke, to concentrate on developing for the future.

Team-mate Nobuatsu Aoki stuck to the four-stroke, and the team overcame a few teething troubles during the session, with throttle problems spoiling planned progress with chassis settings. Like McWilliams, Aoki has one version of the latest chassis, and the niggling problems were a minor set-back against an overall improvement in machine feel and rider confidcnce.

Today's first practice took place in sunny but windy conditions, the notorious coastal breezes of the Estoril circuit prevailing all day. There is one more day of qualifying remaining, to determine final grid positions for Sunday's race.

Taken from Official KR Proton Site

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
phozed : I hope NH can wick it up some and get another 2nd or (doubtful) 1st row start -
I'll do my best but there's some tough competition out there.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
nhfirefighter13 : Quote (phozed @ Sep. 05 2003, 11:23am)I hope NH can wick it up some and get another 2nd or (doubtful) 1st row start -
I'll do my best but there's some tough competition out there.
C'mon, we know that on a good day you can take Rossi

...in a bar fight!

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
He have to fight Biaatchi first, before he could get a title bout. Rossi kicked the bitch's ass, so he has to start there first. A guy has to have standards

·
Registered
343 Posts
Estoril GP Warm-Up Times

Pos. Rider Team Bike Time
1 Sete Gibernau Telefonica Movistar Honda Honda 1:38.910
2 Loris Capirossi Ducati Marlboro Team Ducati 1:39.013
3 Valentino Rossi Repsol Honda Honda 1:39.126
4 Tohru Ukawa Camel Pramac Pons Honda 1:39.603
5 Max Biaggi Camel Pramac Pons Honda 1:39.874
6 Olivier Jacque Gauloises Yamaha Team Yamaha 1:40.076
7 Carlos Checa Fortuna Yamaha Team Yamaha 1:40.158
8 Nicky Hayden Repsol Honda Honda 1:40.160
9 Marco Melandri Fortuna Yamaha Team Yamaha 1:40.205
10 Makoto Tamada Pramac Honda Honda 1:40.345

...NH is coming along nicely How does he manage to post here and prepare for a mgp race anyways?

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
a 1.38.9??

I guess they weren't lying when they said they'd go faster today... Supposedly there was a dirty track staring them in the face yesterday...

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
phozed : ...NH is coming along nicely How does he manage to post here and prepare for a mgp race anyways?    
I've said it before and I'll say it again...I'm just THAT good.

Anyone know when my race actually starts? I tend to forget the minor details.

·
Registered
343 Posts
speed has 4 hours of racing tomorrow - starting at 11cst - ending just in time for football

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
What? MethTV will actually show some racing not V8 toilet-bowl scrubbing?

Hm.. maybe I need to find a good sports bar for tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts