Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone here ever had to "qualify" for a race...

i.e. turn in a lap turn with 8%, 10% or some percent of the pole position lap time to qualify for the grid?

???

·
Registered
630 Posts
Heavy-Dee said:
It's still a buck fifty yo. So even if I "bought" my way in, I can die just as fast as the dude who "earned" it.

HD
Or kill somebody else. Hey, HD, your bike and my bike are much faster than anything I ever raced. And I was taken out more than once by guys who qualified faster than me. But, I think it's a lot less risky when everyone is on the same "page" so-to-speak.

Just look at what happens in "mixed-speed" fields. Holy sheet, it's like Le Mans racing with the different class cars. Dangerous stuff on bikes, in my mind.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
clutchslip said:
Or kill somebody else. Hey, HD, your bike and my bike are much faster than anything I ever raced. And I was taken out more than once by guys who qualified faster than me. But, I think it's a lot less risky when everyone is on the same "page" so-to-speak.

Just look at what happens in "mixed-speed" fields. Holy sheet, it's like Le Mans racing with the different class cars. Dangerous stuff on bikes, in my mind.
Totally agree.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Yeah, endurance racing teaches you how to "blank out" the slower traffic and find at least 4 different lines through every corner. I followed Michael Martin around several times both during practice and during various races and found he rarely takes the same line through ANY corner. When we talked after a Grattan 8 hour, he said "why bother working on the best line when you'll only see it a couple of times during the race" . . . Very fast and very wise man.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I think the problem with having qualifying sessions in club racing is the amount of time it would take to do it for each class competing during a weekend event. Grid positions at the EMRA are based on point standings or race entry order (who filed the papers first) for racers with no points.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
I think the problem with having qualifying sessions in club racing is the amount of time it would take to do it for each class competing during a weekend event. Grid positions at the EMRA are based on point standings or race entry order (who filed the papers first) for racers with no points.
You can do it based on practice times though.

HD

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Yes, several times . . .
More than several wasn't it? Maybe you didn't notice because you were in the top 1% ;)

I believe GLRRA has a rule on qualifying that you had to be within some percentage of the pole. It might have been a pretty wide number, and had several exceptions in the amatuer class to let people learn. The idea was to minimize to the degree possible the speed differences. But then mixing classes got in the way of that too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts