Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
When I first heard it, I thought it was terrible.

But it was pointed out to me that this is the "other" side of the Second Amendment, and that the government actually can compel you to own firearms.

Interesting argument.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Yeah, of course, like Switzerland. But they don't have our Constitution.

The Constitution only guarantees the right of citizens to bear arms, it nowhere says the government cannot force you to bear arms.

Since most of the people on this site are young to middle aged males, we are technically part of the militia, and the government can compel us.

I think if this case ends up in court, and gets passed the municipal law hurdle and on to the actual gun stuff, Brady would be none too pleased with some of the legal issues that would be forced to be examined...

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Anyone know the back story on this? What prompted the legislation? Kind of an odd law. Especially when citizens have the right to own guns if they want to. To me it seems like legislation to actually exclude and possibly expel someone from the town. Gun ownership is assumed to be associated with a certain type of person. And and refusal to own guns is assumed to be associated with another type of person. And the later may not be welcomed in that town.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Funny enough, I was having a discussion with a friend of mine (Former Recon Marine) a few summers ago, and he said that he thinks everyone should have a conceal and carry permit. His reasoning being that it would make you think twice before engaging in some sort of crime. If you knew that on average 5 out of the 10 people in that convenience store would be carrying handguns, you'd probably think pretty hard before deciding to rob it versus if you suspected no one had a gun. The entire discussion was not that shortsighted, but it was an interesting one nonetheless.
Now I don't honestly think that every state would enact a CCW permit (neither does he) but I do see his reasoning.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Haven't a couple states already passed conceal and carry laws? It would seem an interesting and simple analysis to determine if the legislation functions as its proponents have predicted. :guns:

luvtolean would enjoy it, since he would be able to continually defend himself from the forces of evil lurking in the slums of Orange County.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Haven't a couple states already passed conceal and carry laws? It would seem an interesting and simple analysis to determine if the legislation functions as its proponents have predicted. :guns:

luvtolean would enjoy it, since he would be able to continually defend himself from the forces of evil lurking in the slums of Orange County.
Yeah, some states have it. I don't know if studying crime in Utah is applicable to crime in a more populated state with more urban areas. What do I know though...

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
CA has a concealed carry law, that is based on your local Sheriff. (Which I assure you is an extremely flawed system)

OC being a center of comparitive logic in the middle of LA (political) morons, they're actually pretty easy to get.

Jaim, I'm curious. What "kind" of people own guns?

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
CA has a concealed carry law, that is based on your local Sheriff. (Which I assure you is an extremely flawed system)

OC being a center of comparitive logic in the middle of LA (political) morons, they're actually pretty easy to get.

Jaim, I'm curious. What "kind" of people own guns?
Sheep :evilaugh:

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
There was already a town in Georgia or Florida that did this years ago... I will have to google it to find it.
Can't remember the name, but I believe it is a town near Atlanta. City ordinance demanded every house have a gun and everyone get trained to use it. My understanding is it went from one of the worst cities for crime to one of the best ... as noted before, no one knew who else had a gun on them, and they knew every house was armed. :thumb:

·
Registered
271 Posts

Yes, Minnesota was one of them. I'm not sure how it stands now, but I have my conceal and carry permit issued to me by the State. You have to take a class and pass an extensive background check and you can get it. They are having debates on it, however, because a little over a year ago a man was shot by a drunk that had his conceal and carry, all because he was cutting him off for the night. There are signs on almost every building here now that say something to the extent of "we do not allow firearms on this property" or something to that affect. I just feel privelaged that the constitution allows us to carry if we so wish.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Only reason I received mine so easily is that I already have a Federal Firearms permit that I acquired so I could collect. Now the feds come and view my home to see how many and what kinds I possess. I have nothing to hide so it's all good!

·
Registered
902 Posts
The patrol officers in my neighborhood encourage gun ownership at neighborhood meetings. They say they want the neighborhoods they work in to be safer.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts