Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They'd been kept clean the whole time by me. I obviously had to feel how hot the exhaust was after I switched it off and it took 3 copies of my fingerprints! I decided to fire it up again and just let it burn out whatever it was and that did the trick!

The exhaust has changed to a nice burnt bronze colour so think it might have been new and it's first time at temperature. I also ordered another fire extinguisher :D

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,544 Posts
They'd been kept clean the whole time by me. I obviously had to feel how hot the exhaust was after I switched it off and it took 3 copies of my fingerprints! I decided to fire it up again and just let it burn out whatever it was and that did the trick!

The exhaust has changed to a nice burnt bronze colour so think it might have been new and it's first time at temperature. I also ordered another fire extinguisher :D
Yikes! Hope you don't need a skin graft.:rotfl:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:) Thankfully not, just a brief touch which I regretted!

Fitting the suspension took an ugly turn today, need to grind off the previous attempts and re-weld a new setup. I have ordered some new steel which should be with me by Monday to finish that off.

In the meantime I managed to torque the exhaust up and stop it leaking, check that the wheels turn the right way (thankfully they do with the diff mounted back to front and upside down!), and fitted the airbox + bits and bobs

The plan is front suspension tomorrow and then a couple of days on things like seats, mirrors etc. so almost done now!

·
Registered
560 Posts
Holy ****! How does the outside of the can get that hot!? And why is it flammable?? Fuel build up from prolonged 1st start efforts??

PS: got a build thread on that thing? It looks awesome :cool:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First start was really good, this was on the fourth (I think) fire up. It's the longest and hottest startup. I found that the rubber around each can is like paper now, obviously not designed to get hot but it was the ends of the cans that caught fire. I wondered if it was something in the manufacturing process as each can has now discoloured and it doesn't seem to want to set on fire again (thankfully! :))

I guess this is my build thread: http://www.fireblades.org/forums/introductions/109881-new-starter-heap-questions-follow.html

·
7,544 Posts

·
7,544 Posts
First start was really good, this was on the fourth (I think) fire up. It's the longest and hottest startup. I found that the rubber around each can is like paper now, obviously not designed to get hot but it was the ends of the cans that caught fire. I wondered if it was something in the manufacturing process as each can has now discoloured and it doesn't seem to want to set on fire again (thankfully! :))

I guess this is my build thread: http://www.fireblades.org/forums/introductions/109881-new-starter-heap-questions-follow.html
lol posted at the same time, what are the odds?:rotfl::D

·
Registered
560 Posts
Lol, had a quick flick through the pics, cant wait to see more.

My latest theory is they used the wrong glue that day at the muffler factory- rubber cement instead of plumbers grade silicone lol!

Love this project though!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:) You're probably right

And thanks for helping as usual Ian!

I'm just putting finishing touches on this week now and then, when my new steel arrives, I'll make the rear suspension then try and get it on the road. I think I'll wait for the snow to melt a little though!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts