Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in the process of rebuilding my blade. I painted my pipes with vht. Now im thinking while theyre easily accessible i wanna wrap them. I thinking the vulcan titanium lava wrap. Im gonna order off ebay. I think i definitely need 2" wide but how long rolls should i get. Im seeing 15' and 25'. Just want the wrap to be smooth with no joints. Should i look for a 50' roll? Curious if anyone has done this and can tell me how much it took.. thanks

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Im in the process of rebuilding my blade. I painted my pipes with vht. Now im thinking while theyre easily accessible i wanna wrap them. I thinking the vulcan titanium lava wrap. Im gonna order off ebay. I think i definitely need 2" wide but how long rolls should i get. Im seeing 15' and 25'. Just want the wrap to be smooth with no joints. Should i look for a 50' roll? Curious if anyone has done this and can tell me how much it took.. thanks

I've done two systems and used 10m (30ft) rolls of 50mm stuff, but it's just barely sufficient.
I also used 25mm stuff and it is a lot easier to work with in the tighter, curvier parts of the system.
What do you mean by smooth with no joints?
I wrap it with 50% overlap and you'll have some joints. You should be able to wrap both headers on one side down to the collector with one length. Then you can wrap one header right back around the collector with a second piece, and then the last header with a third piece. Or do the headers in two pairs and then the collector seperately. I've found the least fiddly way of retaining it is with stainless worm-drive hose clamps, but tie-wire works just fine.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I mean i want to have one solid piece all the way to each clamp. So total footage of 50 should do it?

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
I mean i want to have one solid piece all the way to each clamp. So total footage of 50 should do it?

50ft should be more than enough.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great thanks!

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Don't forget to start at the BACK of the exhaust, and work forward to the headers. Helps to give the wrap a soak in water too, as when it dries it'll tighten around the pipe.

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
Don't forget to start at the BACK of the exhaust, and work forward to the headers. Helps to give the wrap a soak in water too, as when it dries it'll tighten around the pipe.
Isn't there a black paint-type coating you're supposed to spray on after the wrapping is all done?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The titanium wrap doesnt need to be soaked. There is a silicone sealant spray recommended to spray on after. Im not sure if that applirs to titanium also or just fiberglass.

·
Registered
168 Posts
The titanium wrap doesnt need to be soaked. There is a silicone sealant spray recommended to spray on after. Im not sure if that applirs to titanium also or just fiberglass.
The titanium wrap doesn't need to be soaked to apply, or sprayed after application. Some of the benefits (and extra cost) of using titanium as oppsed to fiberglass. Just be careful though as it can fray on snags pretty easily.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. I like the titanium look also. Ive ordered 2x50 of titanium lava wrap for $38. Seemed like a good deal. Ive taken alot of pics of my progress on the rebuild. Eventually ill start a thread and post them. My progress is slow due to budget but i think it will look really good and def unique.thanks for all the input!

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
I can only think of the way the fabric overlaps itself.. Starting at the back, the seams wont be facing forward and catching everything.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
May I ask why -You should start at the back of the exhaust??
Due to the overlaps. If you start at the front, the overlap will be facing towards the front meaning it's possible to air to get underneath it when you're moving, which also makes it easier for dirt etc to get in there.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Due to the overlaps. If you start at the front, the overlap will be facing towards the front meaning it's possible to air to get underneath it when you're moving, which also makes it easier for dirt etc to get in there.

Perhaps a sensible precaution but certainly not a requirement.
Doing it your way requires doing each header seperately which is a pain.
I prefer to go down one pipe and come up another one.

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
May I ask why -You should start at the back of the exhaust??

Think of shingles on a roof. If they were backwards, all the rain water would seep to the under-layment.
I've never wrapped MC headers before, but I have wrapped car headers before, and with all the water and debris that you run over on a normal road, the wrap serves to shed much better. If it's backwards, it would catch a lot more crud and moisture, and could cause quicker deterioration of the header. That's already a problem because of the lack of heat dissipation once you shut off the engine.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok for the record i used a 50% overlap and came up a little short with 50'. I got the headers and the pipe just before the can done. The center area i still need to do. Id say probably 10-15' more I need. The titanium doesnt stretch as much as the fiberglass so if anyone has used the latter I would suggest planning on buying a little more titanium for the same pipes. Thanks for all the input guys it looks great. Im not sure how to post pics or I would.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Ok for the record i used a 50% overlap and came up a little short with 50'. I got the headers and the pipe just before the can done. The center area i still need to do. Id say probably 10-15' more I need. The titanium doesnt stretch as much as the fiberglass so if anyone has used the latter I would suggest planning on buying a little more titanium for the same pipes. Thanks for all the input guys it looks great. Im not sure how to post pics or I would.

You wrapped it right up to the muffler?
There's not much point in going any further than the back of the engine.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah right up to the flange where the muffler attaches. Im mostly going for looks but why is there no point in wrapping the whole thing?

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Yeah right up to the flange where the muffler attaches. Im mostly going for looks but why is there no point in wrapping the whole thing?

Because the heat in that part of the exhaust system is not going to affect the engine temperature.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts